Float level in Johnson 60 hp -89 ?

rcgt78

Seaman
Hello there!<br /><br />I'm rebuilding the carbs in my Johnson 60 hp -89 and would like to know the correct float level.<br /><br />I believe that the float should be in the same horisontal level when holding the carb upside down. Are there any correct value?<br /><br />What about float drop? How is it measured? Is it the distance between carb and float lower or upper edge? By the way, why must the float drop be adjusted? Isn't it only the other level that is important.<br /><br />Best regards,<br />Robbi

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Float level in Johnson 60 hp -89 ?

Both are important. You want to make sure it opens as well as closes. Parallel is correct for the closed position. Turn the carb body over just to make sure it will drop down. <br /><br />Good luck!

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Robbi:<br />I don't have the repair manual on your motor. You should have an instruction sheet that came with the carb kits you purchased. However, most carbs I have worked with call for the float to be horizontal with the edge of the carb body in the upside down position. Float drop will usually be where the float barely contacts the main jet tube unless otherwise specified in the manual or instructions. Float drop adjustment insures that you don't have a partially open needle valve when running wide open. That could affect performance. Also, a float the opens too far could bind or cause the needle valve to get off center and stick open. You really don't need either condition when you're out on the water. If you don't have the manual or the instruction sheet, maybe someone else can provide those measurements here. Good luck.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Carburetor Float Setting)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /> <br />With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

rcgt78

Seaman

Thanks for your advice!<br /><br />I will today check the float levels and put the carbs back on the engine. Will also change the fuel filter. <br /><br />Hopefully the engine will run fine this summer!