Johnson 115

Custom83s10

Cadet
My dad has a 1970 Johnson 115 and i used during duck hunting season. He ran it in some preety thick weeds and it got a little hot but he turned it off right away. After that he ran it in open water and all of a sudden it stopped running and wouldn't start back up. Luckly we had a troller with a full battery because it was a long ways home. Do you think that he over heated the motor/blew up the water pump and fried the cylinders? If so can it be fixed by boring over? <br />Or does it need a new power head.<br /><br />We have a 1973 135 he is using now that runs good. just wondering so i can take it off his hands and fix it so i can put it on my hunting boat.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 115

Chances are that it will not need a new power head. First post the results of the compression test as ledgefinder suggests.

jgrisham02633

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Johnson 115

Those old motors are tough, I had a 76 115 that I overheated two or three times to the point of seizing and meltdown when it cooled off a little it would start right up and get me home. One time I even ran it with no oil and seized it up,thought it was done for sure, but when I got some oil in the gas it was fine. It still runs but the corrosion got to it. Had to throw something else on.