140 Evinrude doesn't spit water

Krazykjh7680

Recruit
I bought a 140 evinrude 1991 last week, and I got this flusher kit to see how it ran. Nothing came out the spitter when I had the water on. I called the guy about the problem and he said he removed the thermostat because it keep getting clogged or something. He said it won't create enough suction with the thermostat removed to use the water hose flusher, but it works in the lake. Is this true?

D

DJ

Re: 140 Evinrude doesn't spit water

No, it's not true.<br /><br />That engine needs the thermostats to operate properly.<br /><br />Most likely one of two, or both, things are wrong.<br /><br />1. You need to replace the water pump.<br /><br />2. The telltale hose is plugged.<br /><br />But, by all means, get the stat's back in it.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Sounds like someone had an overheating problem and tried to fix it by removing the thermostats. As DJ said, it also sounds like the hose is plugged.

Krazykjh7680

Recruit

He said the reason the thermostat was removed was because he fishes on the river, where there are alot of sand bars and the sand caused a problem with the thermostat.

Krazykjh7680

Recruit

I think I may have found my problem. I noticed after using the flushers with the water hose their is a tiny hole on the lower unit I guess that you use to drain the water from it, a steady stream of water is coming out. Maybe the plug was left out after winterizing it, nevertheless I guess I need one, anybody got a clue where I could order one of these plugs?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I believe that is a vent hole. It does not get plugged. If he was running in that much sand, its a good bet you need a new pump.

D

DJ

The tiny hole is a mid section drain. Don't plug it.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm with the rest of the guys here. Get a new water pump installed, and for pete's sake get the thermostats back in.<br /><br />Not only will it idle better, but without them, you're almost certain to "carbon stick" the rings sooner or later... As a matter of fact, if the previous owner has been running without them, do a "decarb" soon...