removing lower unit

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello,i am trying to remove the lower unit to replace the water pump.BUT the unit will not drop.it seems free at the back but at the front it looks like the stud is stuck.it wiggles but wont drop.i did what it says in the manual.i tried to put oil all over the stud to try free it.but 24 hours latter nothing.please help..1984 johnson 35 hp

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: removing lower unit

i am new to this.what it the trim tab?there is a extension to drop the unit about 8 inches(that the unit is bolted to.

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it seams like it might be the stud that is keeping it from moving.is there anything it could be???am i forgetting anything.would heat help?

Crappie_Fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You did remove the bolts in the shifting rod coupler that hold the shifter rods together right? I know from experience that you cant just loosen them, you have to take them out. Just a thought. <br /><br />Good Luck

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i removed screens and loosened the rods.and the nut slips un and down the shaft.i dont see how it would come out but i will go look to see if it can.

Walker

Captain

Richard, there's a plastic collar type thing that has to be removed where the shift rod couples.

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i dont see it.i put it in gear and it does raise the linkage up and it looks clear.the back of the unit wanks to drop but at the front it tight.i can get a screwdriver in the back but the front is so tight the blade wont fit.let me go look for the plastic collar.thanks please dont give up

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i see the plastic clip.it easy to get to but it not whats holding it.can it be that i need to remove the extension(the thing that somone added to get the lower unit to be lower in the water.i just cant get the retaining stud to budge.it even looks like it dont remove with the unit.could it be that with the extension i must first remove it and maybe there is a bolt in side?

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

now the retaining stud is mushroomed and threds are messed up and the thing still will not move.what gives?????

imtawd77

Seaman

There should be a bolt holding the lower unit on at the top front of the extension housing. its long, and goes all the way through the ext. housing, into the lower unit.

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i removed it.used a 2x4 and a hammer.the stud threds are messed up.the nut will not go on.

Walker

Captain

Richard, you should be able to remove that stud and replace. Its threaded in. Some heat and a good pair of vice grips will probably do the job

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so can i use some heat and vice grips to heat the stud and maybe be able to loosen the stud causing the lower unit to break free(not break.i went to the shop where i get all my parts and asked them how much they would charge to do the job (127.38)not much but i would rather do it myself cheaper plus i want to learn...thanks

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The best way to learn is by doing and using the factory shop manual as a guide. It has step by step procedures + diagrams.

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a manual.but it will not drop like it should.

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i am going to try heat(propane)and vice grips.will heat hurt anything?and is there anything in the front(inside) that might melt or warp?thank you