2000 6hp Johnson, Carb. Linkage Problem?

Buck58

Recruit
Greetings and thanks in advance...I cant figure this out.<br /><br />This Motor is nearly new and (only has about 10 hrs on it) and is mounted on a 15" Geehnoe. While was running a river last weekend I reduced throttle to idle from about 3/4 (still breaking it in, so using 25/1 fuel/oil and running easy) to cast into a nice looking snag and when I throttled up...well, it dident. The motor will start on the first pull and runs at idle, but when throttled up there is no real increace in RPM's. It seems like it wants to, but it just wount. At home I put it on the stand and with the cover off, I can manualy advance the throttle and she will throttle up fine, but not with the twist grip. I have looked at everything I can think of, and all the linkage looks fine. Could I have a vacume leak?

angus63

Captain
Re: 2000 6hp Johnson, Carb. Linkage Problem?

When you twist the grip, do any of the throttle linkage members move? Not sure of 2000 model, but I had a late 70's that wore and the bevel gear moved enough to no longer be engaged to the grip gear. <br />Welcome aboard!!!<br />Help is on the way.....

Xcusme

Commander

Buck, <br /><br />You say it idles fine but won't 'throttle up", was the motor in gear or neutral when you tried this??<br />(A lot of motors won't allow full throttle in neutral for safety reasons.) You can test this without running the motor. Place motor on stand. Remove cover. Try to put motor in forward gear. If you feel resistance, rotate flywheel clockwise while applying forward pressure on gear shift lever. You should be able to ease into forward gear. Work twist grip throttle and check for full throttle movement and full carb linkage movement.

Buck58

Recruit

IM feeling kinda stupid right now but...Whoo Hooo, I found the problem! I was reading your suggestions this morning and while the grip moves freely, and the advance plate responds in kind, I could see no linkage to the throttle on the carb. and it wouldent throttle up in gear or out. I first thought that the connection to the carb must be behind or inside something I couldent see. well, I went out and started to poke around this morning to answer your questions, and found a roller and small wire link laying in the corner at the bottom of the case below the Carb. seems a spring clip came off and the roller/linkage had slipped off. I put it back on, but cant find the spring clip so Ill be heading over to the shop this horning to get a few ( its always good to have spares ;)Iv no idea how it came off so after I replace it Ill play with it a bit and see if I can figure out how to keep it fron happening again.<br /><br />Thanks guys!<br /><br />Buck

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class

its a stuipid o'ring which holds the cam follower on i've had many fall off and i'm hoping that there is a better solution in the works

Buck58

Recruit

Yup, Your right Marinetech, Thanks. <br /><br />I found the 'O' ring and figured that had to be it. I had been looking and thinking it had to be a clip of some sort. Anyway, I fab'ed a clip from some stainless wire I had on my bench, and added a shot of synthetic grease on the shaft and clip. The "O" ring seems kinda wimpy, and I hate stuff that breaks. Is this an OK fix? It seems to be fine...no galling or binding and it works fine, so I think I will give this a try unless you think its a bad idea...if so Ill get a pack of 'O' rings to add to my spares kit.