Do I have a problem?

mercuryblues

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1966 merc 650 outboard.WOT is 25-27 mph.The boat is a deep v-hull fiberglass boat 15 ft.someone put a sloppy fiberglass patch right right on the bottom of the boat where the v comes together,so I think I should sand that down and see if I can do any better and also see if that speeds me up any.I also want to check into a new prop as the old one is beat up a little,the ser # on current prop is 48 32390A3 15P.Can anyone tell me what prop would be best for speed for a boat as described above,also besides prop any other tips for speeeding boat up,(besides bigger motor) Thanks in advance for your time and replies.P.S. is 25 mph about right for my motor??

bob58

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Do I have a problem?

SHould be getting 30 to 35 mph out of her.<br />Prop is about right.<br />Get a tach and see where your RPM's are, if below 5200 @ WOT you need a smaller pitch prop.<br />If above 5800 @ WOT you might think about a larger pitch.<br />Is the engine running on all 4 cylinders?<br />(with insulated pliers, pull plug wires off one at a time and see if there is a noticable drop in rpm's. If so then you know to look at the engine and not the prop.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Do I have a problem?

How good is your compression ?<br />This would make quite a difference to the top speed.