Oil too thick for VRO?

Ol Yank

Cadet
I have a 1984 Evinrude 90 horse VRO. It was 11 degrees fahrenheit when I trailered my boat to the lake today.<br /><br />This is the 4th trip this year but the coldest day I have used it.<br /><br />After about 2 minutes at 3/4 throttle, the warning buzzer started to sound steady beeps every half second or so. I backed it off to an idle and the beeping stopped. The water indicator showed a good stream. I had a couple of quarts of 2 cycle oil in the boat, so I put them in the 18 gal tank of fresh gas. I started it up and let it idle for a couple minutes, then proceeded to run at 3/4 throttle for 4 or 5 miles. No more problems. I trolled for 5 hours in total and put maybe 15 miles of hard running on it all with no more trouble.<br /><br />Is it possible that the oil was too thick for the pump at this low of a temp?<br /><br />What is the best way to check the line for a blockage?<br /><br />TIA

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Oil too thick for VRO?

Yes, it's possible. You may have to pump the "oil primer bulb" if it happens again.<br /><br />There are few TCW3 rated oils that work at that cold temp... The OMC biodegradable was one, and I think the E-tec(XD-100) is also.<br /><br />You may look into the snomobile oils if you're going to make a habit of this.<br /><br />How was the fishing? Steelies "in" yet?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Johnson and Evinrude recommend their XD-100 synthetic oil in "VRO" and oil injected DFI motors when the temp is below 40F.

Ol Yank

Cadet

I was in Lake Michigan looking for early coho.<br /><br />They were smarter than the I was. But at least I learned something about 2 cycle oil. This is my first VRO engine. All my others have used pre-mix.<br /><br />Thanks!