115 HP Hard to start

Rabbitdawghunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm working on a Johnson 115 HP 2000 year model.<br />Model # J115PLSSB<br /><br />The complaint was hard to start. Spark and compression test were good. Appears to be mostly oil coming from carb throats. This engine has the platic carbs and the optical ignition.<br />What should I suspect VRO failure or carbs need cleaning.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 HP Hard to start

Check your primer solenoid first Rabbit and make sure it's working. It sets in the fuel rack on the front of the block. Try flipping the little red lever up and see if it starts any better. The red lever is the manual lever if the solenoid goes out. Once the engine starts, flip it back down.<br /><br />Also, have someone turn the key on and push it in to choke. You should be able to hear the primer solenoid pick up.<br /><br />Does the primer bulb pump up firm?

Rabbitdawghunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried to start it with premix after I checked the spark/compression and couldn't get it to fire off. Cranked it for a while to see if it was flooded then noticed the oil coming from the carb throats. I'm thinking that the oil mix is too rich to fire.

Rabbitdawghunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I have disassembled and cleaned carbs, they were full of pure 2 stroke oil. I have purged the oil out of the system as best I could, the primer bulb gas line seemed to be full of 2 stroke oil also when I removed the white screw in filter in the fuel rack on the front and pumped the bulb it was almost pure oil then cleared out after 5 or 6 pumps of the bulb. I still have not been able to get it to start at all. Good compression and spark on all cylinders. What are the likely causes of this over oiling and what is the fix. Is there something that I have missed on purging the oil that would not let it start now?

Rabbitdawghunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OBJ, your advice on the manual primer worked but only after I purged all the 2 stroke oil that had flooded the carbs. Runs Ok now.

ob

Admiral

Great news.Did you have to manually open the red lever or does the key primer work fine?

Rabbitdawghunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had to use the manual lever, I suppose I'll need to replace the primer assembly once I verify that its getting the required voltage from the key switch.

ob

Admiral

Sounds like a plan.Let us know what you find.<br /><br />Sorry we were typing at the same time.<br /><br />I've got some idea as I had a similar problem with respect to oil rich startup condition until the engine ran a few minutes to clear itself.Couple of things can cause it.One is faulty vent on oil reservoir causing pressure buildup that pushed excess oil trough vro and into carb bowls.Another is a failed seal between the oil and fuel chambers of the vro pump which allows oil to weep through since the oil line remains primed at all times.Having the oil reservoir too high in relation to the engine would exacerbate this.Don't know if the newer OMS pumps are prone to this symptom.My original is still installed but used as just a 50:1 <br />pumper.Some day I may upgrade to a newer style VRO/OMS.

ob

Admiral

It's what Bombardier calls the vro pumps now.<br />Oil Metering System.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps somebody started pumping the oil tank bulb in a misguided attempt to get it started and flooded the carbs with oil.