150 hp johnson fast strike 1997 problems

fishonfire

Recruit
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me. I have a 1997 johnson 150hp fast strike that is "skipping a beat" while I drive it. This is hard to explain so Im going to do the best I can. The engine will pause for just a second then go right back to normal. It is like it looses power then kicks right back up. When it happens the boat slows a little but since the pause is so short the boat speeds right back up. I have heard several diferent ideas of what this could be. Some say power pack some say it is not the power pack. Has anyone ever had this problem or have any guess what is going on. Thanks for any help you can offer.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: 150 hp johnson fast strike 1997 problems

Check all your ground wires on your coils as well as all the connections. Also use a nut on your battery cables instead of the wingnut they come with. Sounds like you are just losing spark intermitently. If this is the case, you need to find it as it can cause a meltdown of electrical components.

93evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not that it is your problem but thats sounds like what mine started doing about a month b4 I finally had to change the power pack. Not long after that had started,it started cutting out while going slow, trying to put engine in gear, and/or taking off. Was inconsistent though as at times it was fine and other times a problem which could have also been weather related as to how it effected the power pack?? At that point I changed the power pack and all has been good since.(mine was 175 evinrude intruder)

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have also gotten to the point of changing out the optical sensor at the same time, just to be sure...

need4speed

Recruit

I have been combating the same thing on a 1996 150 fast strike, and after trying everything else am ready to spend the money on a powerpack. You will find there are 3 or 4 color sleeved powerpacks and stators and optical sensors which must be matched up to work together. Please post back if you have success and let us know what fixed it. I have seen one post here that was fixed by taking out an inline air? filter.

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

Mine exhibited the exact same symptoms and finally one day the power pack just quit completely.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Most likly problem is pack and coils. Always change the timimg sensor with the pack. I also replace the coils. The coils arc to the metal plate between the coils and pack. Problem with the coils are poor insulation. You will also see this on the the 150 injected engines.