67 18hp prop shaft questions

OMCFREAK

Seaman Apprentice
G'day i was wonding if it is still possible to order prop shafts for 18 hp from 67 to about 72 from my local evinrude dealer because my prop shaft is worn out and there is no reasonable priced used prop shafts in australia.<br /><br />Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 67 18hp prop shaft questions

No longer available from OMC/Bomby. Might try SeaWay marine in Washington State. They specialize in obselete parts.<br /><br /> http://www.sea-way.com/ <br /><br /> http://www.twincityoutboards.com/ <br /><br />You should try looking around a bit. Buying a new part will be more than buying one used.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

define worn out, my propshaft (40hp selectric shift) was worn around the rear shaft seal. I had local machine shop grind a few thou off it, and fitted speedy sleeve. works great, and is easily repaired in future if the sleeve wears out. cost 40 bucks for machineing and 25 for the sleeve from CBC. replacement shaft was US$120.00 for second hand, or US$240 for new shaft made to original specs. I feel for you, we don't have the same options here in Australia that the Americans do. If you do try to fit a speedy sleeve, you will need to find a machine shop that does centerless grinding. If they try and turn it down on a lathe they will really ruin it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> there is no reason a competent machinist cannot turn it with a lathe. I have myself on occasion. you can speedy sleeve it or flame spray it.all you need is the seal surface built up. unless the shearpin hole is wallowed. and that to is repaiable.you just cant increase the seal od surface or the shaft wont pass back through the bushing head.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok, depends on the shaft I guess, Due to mine having a needle roller surface next to the seal area, I was told that flame spray would not last, it was not hard enough for bearing to run on. And because the area was hardened, that turning on a lathe was out of the question. I spoke to countless machine shops where I live, and that was the same answer I got from all of them. Was also the same answer that I got from 1 of Brisbanes most respected OMC/BRP service shops.<br /><br />Anyway, at least we agree on the speedie sleeve. :)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Should you not have the OMC part numbers, they are as follows:<br /><br />1971 to 1970 (18/25hp) 305192 superseded to 321929.<br /><br />1971 to 1972 (18/25hp) 316502 superseded to 321929.<br /><br />Although both year sets supersede to the same number, any of the other numbers would of course be okay.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

lark<br /> I thought all that was damaged was the seal surface. its not that hard. I have cut rings and pressed them on with .008 interferance and remachined them due to grooving and pitting. a friend did some with a ceramic flame spray. <br /> I cant hep how repected they are but I build to many tools and other parts out of old propshafts to believe the hardness fairy tale. the lower swivel pin on the OMC cobra and volvo sx is a great example. its the only way we can make it live.<br />its not hard at all.<br /> with standard carbide tooling I have turned 32 finishes on 55 rockwell heatreated 4340 and 4140. with ceramic tooling you can turn a bit harder. and aint no way a speedi sleeve is hard enough for a bearing surface. if its just a seal surface its not hard to fix but depending on what shop rates are can get pricey cause it has tolive in salt water. ps propshafts also make good doners for making sleeve rings.<br /><br /> no telling how many volvo's I have made sleeves to fit the wallowed out steering fork holes. I even had a friend custom grind me a reamer for making the holes oversize and round again before sleeving.