"97 oceanpro 150 hp, erratic idle

dfish77777

Cadet
Hi guys, I just tried prestarting my engine in the driveway before a trip tomorrow, and I've never had any problems (350hrs). It started harder than the normal fire right up, died out after a few seconds a couple times. Then the idle ran way up to 2000-2500 rpm after a few seconds at 1000, and ran there for 5-10 seconds, and then it just sputters down and dies. Starts right up and does the same thing again over and over. Any ideas????? Been sitting through a lot of rain, but with the engine cover on, nothing looks to have gotten wet.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: "97 oceanpro 150 hp, erratic idle

dfish...Sound to me like it's running out of gas, maybe an air leak in a fuel line. When it idles up like that it's running lean. I would check the fule lines first, see if they are still in good shape, check around any clamps, make sure all connections are tight, also see if the primer bulb is staying hard. Could also be your fuel pump. I'm assuming that in SoCal you don't have to winterize, but has it been sitting for a while?

dfish77777

Cadet

Wow, thanks for the fast reply. Its been sitting since the end of December. I'll check the primer bulb. I pulled all the plugs, a little oily but they look okay. Compression on all cylinders read at 90 psi give a pound or two. I'll start checking my fuel lines, any other ideas I'll check as well. <br /> Thanks again,<br /> Don

dfish77777

Cadet

Sorry forgot to mention, its on a VRO system, I replaced the VRO in Jan of 2004.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Did you put any stabilizer in the fuel and run it through the carbs before letting it sit for these couple of months? If not the carbs could be gummed up from the fuel that's been sitting in them. Try checking the connections first and see what you find. I'm sure someone else will chime in here with some other things to look at.