Adhesive M

Harker

Chief Petty Officer
As I was putting my motor back together, the manual called for OMC adhesive M for the bypass cover. I used the gasket sealer/maker on it. Now I am a bit concerned after reading another post where it sounded like adhesive M is the ONLY thing to use in specified applications. Other than that..I had the intake/reedplate gaskets on the wromg sides of the reedplate so I took it apart, changed them around and re torqued the intake back on..any foreseeable problems? Thanks.

The Chipster

Cadet
Re: Adhesive M

The (M) stands for Marine. You shouldn't have any troubles using some other brand of sealer. Only time it might make a diff. is if your in salt water alot. You might go to your local dealer and get some that is made for marine use then. However I have used the standard brand of sealer and have had no troubles. I have fished the Columbia from the mouth and up passed the damns.

Paul Moir

Admiral

It's important to be using a fuel proof gasket sealer/maker. What type did you use?

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

It is Aviation sealer/maker..can't remember the brand name..I'll look when I get home tonight and see if it's for fuel proof installations.The "Gel Seal" I used was Pro Seal, it is red and the squeezeout is still tacky after a week..The place I bought it from advertises it as "Gel seal GS1" Hope it works well.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Don't know about the Gel Seal, but I've had good luck with the Aviation stuff with a brush in the cap - it is fuel proof. I don't think you'll have a problem with that at all. Sometimes you see people use silicone and that's always a disaster.<br />The Loctite/OMC Gel Seal only cures in the absense of air (it's anerobic) so that might explain why your leftover stuff is still tacky.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

OMC type M is the same as Marpox Sealer 1000, Boat Armour Sealer 1000, or from 3M as #847 adhesive through an auto supply store.

walleyehed

Admiral

We can't get the #847 through 3M as an auto store, seahorse, It's not even listed.<br />We called 3 wharehouses yesterday looking for some and finally gave up and ordered it from cedar mills in Texas.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info guys..I feel better.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Gel Seal dries, hardens, seals with the absence of air such as when two castings are torqued together.<br /><br />Gel Seal, when exposed to the air will remain sticky and flebible forever.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by walleyehed:<br /> We can't get the #847 through 3M as an auto store, seahorse, It's not even listed.<br />We called 3 wharehouses yesterday looking for some and finally gave up and ordered it from cedar mills in Texas.
Hey Walleyed,<br /><br />If you order Type M from Bombardier, you receive a red tube that says 3M #847 on it. Try a body shop supply that handles 3M products.

walleyehed

Admiral

At Cedar Mills, when we ordered Type M from BRP, yes, we got #847...problem is..it's not listed as "847" in any of 3M's books...I'll try the body shops here and see what they say. I did call 1 other auto parts store that deals heavily in hardware, resins, body work materials, and they couldn't find it listed either. Guess we're just hicks in the sticks out here.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

It's interesting that OMC Type M, Marpox Sealer 1000, Boat Armour Sealer 1000, or 3M #847 are routinely recommended by the pros and gurus, but iBoats Mega Mall doesn't carry any of it. Do they read their own forums?

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use two products. Moto seal by permatex. It will dry and is excellent. I have rebuilt many outboards with that product. Use on crankcase halves and everything else. Also Yamabond 4 is excellent from Yamaha. Moto seal is available at pep boys.

Paul Moir

Admiral

On the subject of alternatives, I've also used the grey moto-seal on a few test crankcases as well (ones calling for Sealer 1000, no gel seal ones yet) with good luck so far. Only a year on them though.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

MerCruiser's Bellows Adhesive and certain automotive trim adhesives are very close to Type M.