Plunger for Pressure tank

I have purchased a pressure gas tank for an older model Johnson boat motor. The pressure tank does not have a plunger. By looking at it appears to have been broken off and someone put a bolt in the place of the plunger and hooked a squeeze ball on the hose. Will this work and if not does anyone know where to find a plunger for this old tank?

alcan

Commander
Re: Plunger for Pressure tank

Hi Fisher<br />I don't know if the contrapsion you describe will work or not. It doesn't sound promising. Defenatly not kosher.There were two types of these presure tank primer pump deals.The early type (the one you think you have) had an aluminium shaft topped with a rotating knob/button. The other end of this shaft dropped through the housing and was nutted to the pump diaphram. This means there had to be a hole in the diaphram. This system worked OK. Ok until the knob at the top became stuck (not spin free) or broke off or fell off. The purpose of the knob is to reduce or eliminate torque to the shaft from your thumb during pumping. This torque would cause the nut on the other end to loosen,fall off or tear the diaphram. Not good. So OMC changed the design to the later type. This deal is basicly the same, except for the pump plunger. OMC insted used a plastic button that rides atop the diaphram and does not protrude through it. There are a couple ways to go here for repairs. Some prefer to drill out the early type housings and install the plastic button, (you can still get them NOS). And install the later diaphram (with no hole). They stll make these after market (Sierra). You can scrounge around and find a used plunger shaft. Or you could make your own. If you find diaphrams with the hole already in them (OEM NOS) they usually cost more. Just use the after markets and punch your own hole, if you go the shaft route. I hope this helps. Let us know how you make out.