67 john 33 locked up

awakokeaqc

Recruit
in my last two outings my motor overheated. After about 10 minutes it cooled down and started but, I had to pull start it. The last time out it ran fine for about 4 miles then overheated again. this time it smelled like something was burning but I couldnt pinpoint exactly where the smell was comming from. After about a half hour it seemed cool enough to try pull starting it. when I tried to pull the rope it did not come out, it was like the hole inside was just locked up. I tried turning the key but that didnt help either.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 67 john 33 locked up

Welcome awakokeaqc!<br /><br />Well awakokeaqc....sounds like ya' siezed her up. Pull the plugs and see if there is any metal on them. Maybe pull the head and check for cylinder/ring damage. What you smelled was probably the power head cause it was so hot.<br /><br />After the first over heat, you should have checked the impeller and t-stat to see/repair reason for overheat.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If you overheated it enough to stick it - even after cooldown, the motor is more than likely toasted. Even if you did get the motor freed up with oils, etc., there is likely internal damage to the pistons, rings and cylinder walls. Time for a rebuild or replacement. Lots of those old motors around, so finding a decent used powerhead shouldn't be too hard and swapping it out isn't a big deal. Check the cooling system before trying to run a new powerhead...<br />- Scott

Paul Moir

Admiral

There's no t/stat in a 33hp, so it could only have clogged or the impeller failed. But I think this is a moot point.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i got one of those in the shop runs great . other than fade it looks good . it ran good the last time it was run .that wasent but 3years ago .

awakokeaqc

Recruit

anybody have any suggestions on what to do or try next? would really help

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

You need to pull the head off. If the motor is locked up you will see why. I've seen a couple of these motors get water in the l/u and lock up tight also, but yours sounds like the powerhead. Chief