72 johnson 50hp

karl1946_au

Cadet
hi im new to this can you tel me if i put the wrong oil in the leg would it cream up or do i have water in ther

fireman57

Captain
Re: 72 johnson 50hp

Change the oil to the correct one and run for a little while and recheck. If it is milky then you have a water leak that you must repair.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

don't forget new drain/fill washers or o rings

reeldutch

Lieutenant

i think you have a electric shift gearcase so dont use the omc hivis.<br />they have a special lube for electric shifters.<br />i cant recall right now what the name is

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Bomby calls it Premium Blend for electric shifts. There are others out there. Just make sure the containers says "for electric shifts".

karl1946_au

Cadet

hi just wondering what would be the best way to ajust the carbs at the moment it is running very rich and useing a lot of petrol

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi Karl....The needles in the carbs were for low end or idle adjustments. The setting on each needle being done separately with the engine in the water and in gear, motor at operating temp.<br /><br />Now, these older motors were not really noted for their gas efficency.....are you experiencing fouled plugs and such? A little more info would be a start. Also, is the engine running at operating temp?

karl1946_au

Cadet

hi obj thanx for the info no the plugs are fine it just wont idle can i move the needle settings to get to run smoother

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yes you can readjust the needles. I would start from where they are at present. Warm the engine up and put in gear. Adjust one carb at a time making the adjustments in 1/8th turns of the needle. If you are not sure of the current settings, run the needles in until gently seated and back out 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns out and start from there. I would almost bet that one needle is run in to far if it jumps around and coughs.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

seat needle with finger to tuch and back off 5/8 turn . never tighten low speed tight just tuch .......crank and after engin is runnu=ing temp then ajust to best performance by slowley turnning sloe at 1/8 turns and a pause to let it settle down . that is a good motor have 1 on a boat ans soled one that i ran for years . with the eletric shift the wires go down into the foot there is a rubber seal and some times they git lost and that will let the engin idle roug or not run at idle with the hood on it . thatb is becouse of the exzoust coming up into the cover and there is no oxygen in the exzoust . papasage

karl1946_au

Cadet

hi thanx for that i had a look at the needles and thay wher about 2 turns out did not run it yet so do thay also control the idle speed as wel thanx