hard starting 25 hp

bigmachinist

Recruit
I have a 25 horse manual start 1975 model evinrude. The motor is very hard to start. I have new fuel and I am getting fuel to the carb. I have good plugs, getting fire. But it still acts up. I got it started after pulling on it for 30 minutes, let it warm up, then killed it. Could not get it started again. Any ideas on what is causing this.

alcan

Commander
Re: hard starting 25 hp

Hi Big<br />The first step in this outboard tune/repair business is to do a compression test. Do you have even compression on both holes? Do you have good spark at both plugs. You say you have fuel to the carb. Does the carb supply fuel to the motor? Are you using the propper starting procedure? Do you have the tank vented? Is the choke working corectly? Will it close fully? It sounds as if this motor may have sat up for a while and not been in use. If the motor has a good compression test give it the full service treatment. If compression is low on one or both holes try soaking the cyls. with Seafoam for a day or so and retest. This really sounds like a dirty carb. Maybe the float is stuck and it is flooding? Was it pumping water when you had it running? Let us know what you find.

fireman57

Captain
Re: hard starting 25 hp

Welcome to iboats. alcan is probably right that you need to redo the carb. But make sure you do the other things first. This will take you minimum time but eliminate maximum problems.