Shaft length for 17' Old Town Canoe?

Scootar

Recruit
I have a 17" Old Town sport canoe (squareback). The transom measures 18" top to bottom. The manufacturer reccomends a long shaft. A friend runs a short shaft on the same boat and states the short is best due to more bottom clearance while in rivers. I will be buying new and am perplexed as to which one I should buy. I will be using the boat in rivers and lakes. Thanks in advance. :confused:

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shaft length for 17' Old Town Canoe?

You're kinda in between the 15 and 20" shaft range, but I think for your purpose, you could get by with the 15, especially with some weight in the back of the boat. If it works on one boat, it should work on the other! Then again, you can always raise a long shaft, but it's more difficult to lengthen a short shaft.

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a suggestion ... sell the canoe and buy a small jon boat with motor. I've attempted to navigate/fish out of a motorized canoe and it's very sketchy. Maybe you could get a few bucks for the canoe and not be out too much for the jon boat combo...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Get a long shaft engine with shallow water drive, Scootar. Best of both options.<br /><br />Good luck. :)