1975 evinrude water pump?

pjm257

Cadet
Ok I have a 1975 70hp evinrude and tried to take her to the lake the other day for a test run after idleing her in the yard with the muffs on. <br /> The pump pumped water out of the lower outlets but not out of the 2 outlets under the head. I didnt notice this at first due to the fact that this is my first boat and know nothing. <br /> But guys kept yelling from the bank "Shes not pumping water. <br /> The boat idles fine but does run rich so I know I need to have the carbs rebuilt. And am takeing her to the shop in the morning. <br /> While idleing with the muffs the motor never warmed up that much and at the lake it never got a chance to warm up because it kept stalling out.<br /> Now my question is this. Is the pump suppose to be pumping water out of these 2 outlets (under the head) all the time? Or are these 2 ports outlets for the thermastats and have wait untill the motor warms up for the water to start comming out of them? <br /> This motor sat up for quite awile and I plane to have the pump replaced anyway. But was just wondering how these water pumps work.

ob

Admiral
Re: 1975 evinrude water pump?

Those are exhaust relief ports and will not discharge any water at idle on the muffs.The spring loaded pressure activated T/stat bypass opens at higher rpms.This is when you will/should see water discharge from these two ports.The only way at idle they will discharge is if the T/stat and or bypass feature is removed or stuck open.<br /><br />The pump itself is a star shaped rubber impeller positive displacement type.It's discharges water up the engine mid section by way of a tube.

pjm257

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I realy need to get a manual for this motor but dont see it listed on this site. :( But with the help of you experianced boaters Ill be up and running soon :) Maybe someone out there knows were i ccan get one the motor model number is 70573E. <br /> And again thanks for the help :)

ob

Admiral

General ones can be got at the bottom of this page.A factory reprint can be got here. web page