Lower unit oil change on 1987 SPL 88 Horsepower V-4 outboard

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello again, <br /><br />I have another question? I was at Wal-Mart today and see they have SuperTech Marine lower unit SAE 80/90 oil. Is this a good oil to use for my lower unit oil change? Not sure.<br /><br />I have another question? I also see they have Penzoil Marine fuel/stabilizer cleaner that treats up to 12 Gallons of fuel. If I remember correctly the bottle has 8 or 10 ounches in it and says to use it I believe every fifty hours and it prevents you from having to dump the gas out at the end of the season. Is this a good quality fuel cleaner stabilizer. Would it help out throughout the year if I used it at every other fuel up?<br /><br />I just want to make sure I am not putting junk in my motor and at the same time not spending alot of money also.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower unit oil change on 1987 SPL 88 Horsepower V-4 outboard

both will work ok in your v4. however read the label on the fuel treatment. if it contains alchohol dont use it and just us a stabilizer. always change the drain plug gaskets/orings. could be either one. but make sure you use the correct seal on the correct plug. while your at wally world buy the lower unit lube pump. you will thank yourself later.

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Rod bolt,<br /><br />Is 10 ounces of lower unit grease enough. I am still waiting for my Seloc manual to get here, but was wondering? The grease they have at Wal-mart comes in a 10 ounce tube, oversized toothpaste tube is what it looks like. Thanks again I am sure I will be asking many questions. I can't wait to get her on the water. I see your from Kitty Hawk North Carolina. I used to live in Fayetteville, N.C. have cousins aunts uncles live there in Hope Mills. I have never been to the outer banks though. How is it. One day I promised my family I would take them camping. I own a 32 footer slideout. Fleetwood travel trailer.

ob

Admiral

You'll need three of the 10oz. tubes to do the job.I believe your lower unit capacity is 22 oz.If you haven't bought it yet,consider the penzoil hi vis gear lube they sell at wal-mart in quart containers.It comes with a threaded fitting and hand pump that screws right up to your drain hole.Much less hastle and spills than tubes.