will i need a sun shade?

rbigg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I live in Pensacola, and used to fish the Gulf constantly. Had a few years<br />recently where I wasn't able to do this. Time to get cranked back up again.<br /><br />I now have an 18' cc. All my other boats have had T tops or Biminis.<br /><br />This one doesn't.<br /><br />Is not having a top going to be a big deal for me? I see lots of boats out<br />in the Gulf without tops. My normal water window will be maybe 4 hrs twice<br />weekly. Seems like I ought to be able to handle that just by wearing a<br />cap.<br /><br />Thoughts/opinions, please.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: will i need a sun shade?

My next door neighbor just had a large chunck of the top of his head removed cause of some skin cancer. He had a good head of hair. Works in an office and doesn't have a boat. Wear that cap and use plenty of sun screen. Skin cancer is serious stuff. Have fun. Mark

Darren Smith

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would recommend at least a bimini top. Until you get that, I second carrotsnapper's statement, a hat with lots of sunblock. And remember to get hte tops of your ears, they hurt when burnt!

rbigg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good input. Thanks. <br /><br />I'd forgotten about the ear tops getting sunburned. They do, though, and it does hurt. Been there done that. Don't want to do it again.

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another vote for getting the top here.

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You never really appreciate having a top until you no longer have it. You can buy a real nice bimini for anywhere between $150-400 depending on what you are looking for. I personally will never be without a top again. Its also nice to have a top for when you take friends out, not everyone likes baking in the sun. Another vote for a top.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wear a hat and bandanna that comes down to cover your neck and ears. Then SPF 35 or better on all exposed skin surfaces. and wear sunglasses for the UV protection for your eyes. Not all shades are UV resist, make sure you buy a pair that specify UV resist.<br />Later,

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

If ya fish middle of the day, I'd get the top, even if only for the ride out and back.... 4 hours of mid day sun... that'll definately cook ya...<br /><br />If ya fish mornings or evenings, I might not go for the top... <br /><br />Long sleve shirts too... ;) Some of them are actually quite cool (columbia bonehead shirt, for example)