engine swap

plowell

Recruit
I have a blown mid-90's evinrude ocean pro 200hp. I can buy mid-90's ocean pro 175hp that was just rebuilt. is this an easy swap/installation, or are they two very different motors?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: engine swap

Two completely different animals. The 200 is a closed deck 90 degree looper and the 175 is a 60 degree looper. They will bolt up in the same holes in the transom and use the same controls. The powerheads will not interchange. There was a wiring change in 1996 but there are adaptors to go either way. <br /><br />I assumed you were getting at a powerhead swap. Let me know if there are more questions. <br /><br />How bad is the 200? Can it be fixed?

plowell

Recruit

Thanks for reply, to answer your question, the ocean pro 200 was sunk at mooring (salt water). I was away and engine was not pickled when boat was retrieved. I am told it will be very big bucks to fix engine that was not pickled immediately.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ouch! Bummer! Yeah the crank and rods are probably shot. Most likely some electrical too.<br /><br />The 60 degree motors are very good. I have one on my Dusky. The motor would be a simple bolt on swap as a complete motor. <br /><br />Sorry to hear about your bad luck!

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Plowell....Did that happen in that Noreaster in the fall? I know a couple of guys that lost engines due to that storm. One guy had twin 150's that were submerged when the boat flipped on the mooring and sat like that for 2 days. He had it covered on his homeowners insurance though, they totaled out the motors and the boat and I think he is gonna use the money to refurbish everything. Sorry to hear that man, hope you get re-powered before March. Don't know where on the island you are, but try checking marina's and shops on the south shore, alot of guys wreck lower units down there on sandbars and you may be able to pick up a good powerhead that someone has laying around. Good Luck.