I think I found one...

eeboater

Commander
I started shopping a little while back and I ran across this one. I think I might go check it out over my lunch hour. Can you guys let me know what you think -- pricewise, equipmentwise... etc.<br /><br /> 2002 Four Winns 170H <br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Sean

KM2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I think I found one...

Sean, I have a four winns and like it. <br /><br /> Nice boat with the 4.3 it should do low 50's maybe 55mph. They come with nice custom trailers and cover. I wouldn't tow with the cover that is on it, it won't last long. Four winns are heavy boats check the trailer for brakes, towing with a jeep you will need them. The price seems a little high to me, new it could have been bought for about $2000 more. Good Luck

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Small enough it should be easy to garage. Price is way high.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It is a bit high on the price. Check the NADA and you will see that even with the add ons it is a bit high. If Low retail is 13K I would make him a solid offer of 11K after the water test.<br /><br />It is the entry level Four Winns and a new one equipped like that is suggested at about 20K retail MSRP. Heck even a brand new Bayliner can be had equipped like that for way under 20.<br /><br />There is room to negotiate down from MSRP to begin with. Most of those boats have a few thousand in profit in them.<br /><br />A model that is 3 years old should have depreciated 45-50% in the first year, just as a car would.<br /><br />Continue with your quest. A new boat will finance better than a used one and you get the warranty.<br /><br />Bob

eeboater

Commander

Well, NADA lists it at 12,800 LOW and 14,765 HIGH with all the do-dads and gadgets. So, you're right the price of 16k is a bit high. I can probably work them down a bit.<br /><br />What do you think, 67.9 hours on it... bad, good? <br /><br /><br />KM2: What do you tow with? This trailer doesn't have brakes and I'd be pulling it with a 97 Grand Cherokke with the 4.0 I6.<br /><br />Sean

QC

Supreme Mariner

The hours are nice and low. We rack up about 90 hours a year on ours, but many people run less than 30 a year. They really should run strong for over 2500 hours if maintained properly.

sangerwaker

Commander

Sean, the Jeep should be OK for towing as long as you have the factory tow package. That 4.0 has quite a bit of low end torque. I tow mine with a 95 4.0, and mine weighs in at about 3000 boat, motor, and trailer, dry. Only time I ever had troubles was towing it home through the mountains at high altitudes. My trailer does have brakes though.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

What? no livewell, no trolling motor, ?? :) <br /><br />They will come down on the price, they even say so at the top of the page, "ask for a personal quote".<br /><br />But expect to pay more for a really good boat here in Wi than in other parts of the country. Its always been that way.<br /><br />As far as brakes go, you should have them. You will be at @ 2700-2800# with boat, trailer, spare, and fuel. Plus any additional gear.

NYMINUTE

Captain

$$ a bit high, bet they will come down. Nice boat.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by roscoe:<br />But expect to pay more for a really good boat here in Wi than in other parts of the country. Its always been that way.
Aha... I gotcha. I have been wondering that for a while. This is my first round in the world of boats so I wasn't completely sure how the market was here in Wisconsin.<br /><br />Sean.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Sean, I towed with a 2000 GC with 4.0, the 4.0 will do the job. OD off! I have brakes and can't imagine towing very often without them. I did some towing with the GC without brakes and the difference was incredible. The GC brakes are not that good to begin with. Replaced warped rotors once and needed too again when we turned the lease in. Had less the 40k on the truck. <br /><br />P.S. You got me thinking, boy did I like that truck. 2000 GC laredo black, loaded leather, sunroof, quadradrive and off road package. Unstoppable! <br /><br />One more thing: If the trailer has carisle tires on it consider changing them. I blew one of the oem tires out last year probably less than 5k on them. Damaged my trailer and a major PITA.

eeboater

Commander

Thanks KM. I'll keep that in mind. Now I'm wondering if I have to look into purchasing a reasonable tow-rig before I get a boat....<br /><br />Sean

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Instead of a new tow rig, have surge brakes added to the trailer.<br />Hopefully they can be added to the axle it has.<br />Tom's Trailers in Menomonee Falls can do it for you it the boat dealer doesn't want to.