Warning: Scam artists when selling boat

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am selling my old boat and can't believe how many scam artists there are. I got over 10 emails from people who want to buy a boat for someone over seas using certified check. Their stories are ellborate and I am sure many fall for their scams...Just wanted to warn people who are selling. Here is just one example of an email I received:<br /><br />Thanks for getting back to me this time.i will pay the amount you want for the boat. but i will have to pay you with an AMERICAN CASHIER CHECK thrugh my client who owes me the sum of $9,500 and he has agreed to send the CHECK out in your name in which you will cash it and deduct your own $5,800 and help me send the rest back to my shipper through WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER.this remaining money will be used for the shipping of what am buying from you. i want you to get back to me if you think you can help me out with my proposal. if you are alright<br />with my method of payment,i want you to give me the following informations that i will use in making sure the cheque gets to you on time:<br />YOUR FULL NAME THAT WILL BE WRITTEN ON THE CHEQUE,<br />YOUR ADDRESS WHERE THE CHEQUE WILL BE SENT TO,<br />YOUR CITY AS WELL AS THE ZIP CODE AND COUNTRY<br />YOUR PHONE NUMBERS.<br />I want you to know that shipping of this car is not a problem<br />to me.i have my own shipping company that will handle this for me.all i want is if you can help me to cash this cheque and send the rest of the money to my shipper that will come and pick the car for me.if you have any more pictures that you can send to me,please send them.thank you and i will be expecting your mail as soon as possible.<br />Regards .<br /><br /><br />I hope these guys get busted.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Warning: Scam artists when selling boat

that scam is old and tired. i still get em all the time on ebay. <br /><br />just delete and move on

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yea, I see many post on internet with similar scams...My revenge is to use their email and sign them up for as many mailing lists as I can find on the web along with a rude reply. THey probably have a ton of addresses, but is makes me feel better.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Love it, Zoom50!<br /><br />Why not have a load of bullpoop trucked in as well, cash on delivery?

Realgun

Commander

Take the cheeck and wiat till it clears then pay them. never ever cash a fake check and send the money asap. they will get burned in the end guaranteed.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

your bank might charge you a service charge if, sorry, when it comes back no good.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't mess with these guys. They are very good at getting something for nothing. I do like the idea of using their email address to sign them up for mailing lists. I might have to try that one.

randyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Realgun:<br /> Take the cheeck and wiat till it clears then pay them. never ever cash a fake check and send the money asap. they will get burned in the end guaranteed.
Ive heard checks can clear and then be reverted when they find out the check was invalid. Not sure how valid it is, but there you go.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I find the best way of getting rid of these guys (they aint very bright BTW) is to open up the extended mail properties for their email.<br />That displays the IP addy they sent the mail from.<br />I then use a DNS tool (MIRC has one inbuilt) to determine their ISP-just send their ISP a copy of their email+email addy attached to a basic draught complaint with their IP and DNS'd ip attatched.<br />Usual addy to send a complaint like that to is abuse@ISPNAME<br /><br />It sounds long and complicated but it takes less than 5 minutes and if their ISP takes action against them then they'll have to sign up to a new service provider. There's only a limited number of them...