What size bilge pump?

xecutech

Cadet
Me again! I am going to put a new bilge pump im my boat... how do I determine what size to use?<br /><br />I have a 20' cuddy cabin boat with an inboard 4.3 litre engine.<br /><br />Is there a general rule of thumb? I figured the bigger the better, but still want it to fit in there with the motor! :D

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What size bilge pump?

If I had a boat that large I would be inclined to put two medium size ones in. I was told the smaller the boat the bigger ya want your pump,50 gallons in a 12 foot boat is gonna cause more worry and problems than 50 gallons in your 20 footer. But In my mind two pumps set up at a slightly diffrent level would be most satifying

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I had a boat that large I would be inclined to put two medium size ones in. I was told the smaller the boat the bigger ya want your pump,50 gallons in a 12 foot boat is gonna cause more worry and problems than 50 gallons in your 20 footer. But In my mind two pumps set up at a slightly diffrent level would be most satifying

Bondo

Staff member

Is there a general rule of thumb? I figured the bigger the better, but still want it to fit in there with the motor!
Use the Biggest 1 that Fits..............<br /><br />I've got 2 independant pumps, about 1200/1500gpm each.......

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

1200 to 1500 gallons per minute??? That would have saved the Titanic!! let's recalibrate...for a 20 ft cuddy, 1000 to 1250 gallons per HOUR is more than adequate...or you've got serious problems.

xecutech

Cadet

Again, THANK YOU, you guys are a wealth of information. I think I will put 2 automatic 1200gph units.<br /><br />I am sure I will have more questions in the future, so until then...

who

Cadet

how come you guys are getting so much water in 'yer boats? I have a 20' stingray cuddy cabin with a 3.0 Merc, and it stays nice and dry.... Been out 3 weekends in a row, and I dont have more than a 1/2 cup of water in there....

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by who:<br /> how come you guys are getting so much water in 'yer boats? I have a 20' stingray cuddy cabin with a 3.0 Merc, and it stays nice and dry.... Been out 3 weekends in a row, and I dont have more than a 1/2 cup of water in there....
So you don't need a bilge pump - just forget about it... :D

xecutech

Cadet

I am getting some water in it, but only when running. If it sits, or even idles, it is fine. If I run it around the lake it gets about 2-3 gallons in the bilge area.<br />I am VERY concerned about it and will be trying to find out where it's from.<br />I get conflicting info from other boaters if this is ok or not, but seriously doubt that the manufacturer meant for it to do this.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Should get no water in the hull at all. My boat had water in it one time when the I/O had a freez plug come out.<br /><br />Still the bilge pump is an inportant saftey iteam. The day you hit something and start taking on water or boating offshore and have a wave break on the back of the boat and fill 1/3 full of water.<br /><br />You could pump it out with a 500 gallon per hour pump if you have time but offshore the time you have may be the time until the next wave. <br /><br />I like two pumps one automatic and one manual but get one as big as you can aford and will fit. Or get a small one to go as deep in the bilge and as far back as possible and later get a Big one. 5 gallon bucket and lots of floation will also help.

Bondo

Staff member

I Know I don't Normally Need 3000gpm worth of Pumps.................<br /><br />But, As stated Above,..... I want to be prepared,...........If I Do............

Realgun

Commander

The real question is do you want the shark to eat you because you were cheap or because your cheap meat? :) Hope that helps. Actually the best bet is 2 pumps cause as you know IF 1 pump breaks, jams. or clogs you have a spare. As to size the bigger the better in this case as its a safety item of couse its gotta fit too.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I,d be checking into where the water is coming from if it only happens when your moving. I had the same problem about 10 years ago. turned out to be a leaking bellows, found out the hard way how expensive that can be if you don't catch it right away.<br /><br /> Jim

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class

3000gpm??? must be one heck of a boat!<br /><br />This is the only type of 3000gpm pump that I have worked with:<br /><br />
recdel_r68_c4.gif
<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D :D <br /><br />Seriously, though. I ran a single 500gph pump for a while... until it clogged one day when I needed it most. Now I have dual 500's with automatic switches.

Bondo

Staff member

Yaaa,.......m,........h,......... You Know What I Mean....... :D

biloxiriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

No matter how good, or new the boat is you should always have two good bilge pumps. Atleast one on a float switch all though I have both on float switches. The 1200 GPH units will be great.