1975 evinrude 70 hp

pjm257

Cadet
Hopefully someone here will be able to help me. <br />I just bought a 1975 tri-hull and it has a 70 hp evinrude on it. This is my first boat and it has been extreamly well kept. By this I meen it was under a car port and covered with a tarp. The previous owner stated that the moter has less then 10 hours service on it. By the look of this motor(mind you im just guessing here) he is telling the truth. The motor doesnt even have a chip off the paint on it. <br /> The boat itself is a fiberglass tri-hull and I cant find a single crack in any of the seats or any dmg at all to the interior of the boat. <br /> When the man took the cover off the boat It actually had cobwwebs from the wind sheild to the sides and the throttle had cobs on it as well. <br /> The hull is in perfect shap and the color is perfect. <br /> Now my only reservation about this boat was the fact that I couldnt hear the motor run as there was no batery in it. The previous owner stated he bought it and just plain lost interest in it. (the boat that is)<br /> Now A few things you guys may be able to help me with here.<br /> The motor as I stated is a 70 hp evinrude. Model # 70573e serial number is j0013261 <br /> Can anyone help me with the gas mixture and proper batery this boat would require. <br /> I looked into the the motor and yes you guessed it cobwebs galor. Any sugestions of how to clean her up and get her running again. I bought a bottle of 2 cycle penzoil marine formula is the right oil to add to the gas? And how do you guys feel about the marine fuel system cleaners out there?<br /> As you can prolly guess I know nothing about boats but have always wanted one. and now I find I have one. <br /> And just incase your wondering I paid $1000 for this boat and feel like even if I have to spend 5-8 hundred to get the motor going it was well worth it. <br /> Please help I need all I can get. <br /> Patrick

firstimer

Cadet
Re: 1975 evinrude 70 hp

Originally posted by pjm257:<br /> Hopefully someone here will be able to help me. <br />I just bought a 1975 tri-hull and it has a 70 hp evinrude on it. This is my first boat and it has been extreamly well kept. By this I meen it was under a car port and covered with a tarp. The previous owner stated that the moter has less then 10 hours service on it. By the look of this motor(mind you im just guessing here) he is telling the truth. The motor doesnt even have a chip off the paint on it. <br /> The boat itself is a fiberglass tri-hull and I cant find a single crack in any of the seats or any dmg at all to the interior of the boat. <br /> When the man took the cover off the boat It actually had cobwwebs from the wind sheild to the sides and the throttle had cobs on it as well. <br /> The hull is in perfect shap and the color is perfect. <br /> Now my only reservation about this boat was the fact that I couldnt hear the motor run as there was no batery in it. The previous owner stated he bought it and just plain lost interest in it. (the boat that is)<br /> Now A few things you guys may be able to help me with here.<br /> The motor as I stated is a 70 hp evinrude. Model # 70573e serial number is j0013261 <br /> Can anyone help me with the gas mixture and proper batery this boat would require. <br /> I looked into the the motor and yes you guessed it cobwebs galor. Any sugestions of how to clean her up and get her running again. I bought a bottle of 2 cycle penzoil marine formula is the right oil to add to the gas? And how do you guys feel about the marine fuel system cleaners out there?<br /> As you can prolly guess I know nothing about boats but have always wanted one. and now I find I have one. <br /> And just incase your wondering I paid $1000 for this boat and feel like even if I have to spend 5-8 hundred to get the motor going it was well worth it. <br /> Please help I need all I can get. <br /> Patrick
I have the same engine. I was told to use 50:1 ratio. I cant give u much help because i am new at this. I started up my motor for first time today its sounds beuatiful. If you find help send them my way. my post is a few dwon from yours.<br /><br />firstimer

ledgefinder

Ensign

Where the history is unknown, you will want to clean the carbs and put a new water pump impeller in it before you run it much. <br /><br />If it was stored without running or draining the gas from the carbs, the old gas may have gummed up a jet. Two-strokes heat up when run lean, so the gummy jet could cause you to burn a cylinder. Not terribly uncommon when waking up a motor that's sat for a while.<br /><br />I'd try to start it, and run it gently for a bit first, just to get an idea where it's at condition-wise. Do NOT run it without it being in the water, or on the flushmuffs - you'll burn the pump out. 50:1 oil with fresh gas, and make sure it's cooling OK. You should be able to rest your fingers on the cylinders for a few seconds (around 140 degrees). If it gets hotter than that, shut down immediately - the water pump's shot.<br /><br />If it seemed to idle and run OK, putting out decent power on all three cylinders and shifting OK, I'd shut down, and get started on it. First, I'd check the compression - all three should pretty much dead even. <br /><br />Then drain, inspect & refill the lower unit fluid, putting new gaskets on the drain screws. If the fluid's milky (indicating water leaks) or has metal chips in it, post back. <br /><br />Then clean the carbs, & put a inline fuel filter on it. The carbs are pretty easy to get to and clean on that motor. Make sure you don't mess up the adjustment of the linkages while you're doing this. <br /><br />While the carbs are off, drop the lower unit and replace the impeller. If the pump housing is worn, or the rubber gaskets are getting old, replace them too. This is the toughest job of the three, and if I were you I'd have a manual in hand before I started it. Alternately, this is good job to take to the dealer. <br /><br />I spray the powerhead down with OMC 6-n-1, and lube the linkages. Also, pull the prop & lube the splines, so you can get the prop off in the future.

fireman57

Captain

ledgefinder told you everything right. These are pretty simple tasks to do but make sure you get a manual. Everything he talked about is under $100. By the way, Welcome to iboats. If you run into any other problems do a search on this site. If you answer is not there then post your question and there will be a ton of people trying to help.

reka12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you stumbled across a real find. I would first pull the plugs and spray fog oil into the cylinder to make sure they are lubbed and to help the rings loosen prior to cranking for the first time. Go ahead and do the big four (carbs, fuel filter, impeller and sparkplugs). If there is old fuel in the tank, you may want to trash it and get a new one and new line and bulb. It is hard to clean out an old tank with jelly in it. You can pretty much use a car battery to start it but find a marine battery that has the proper posts. You can use water muffs to make initial adjustments in the driveway, but if you adjust to specs, chances are everything will work well.<br /><br />My experience as the unexperienced, it will take you probably 10 hours at the most to do these things. Order the parts (this site is very useful), get the manual and have fun! These motors are not too complicated and the learning experience will prove useful for maintenance and emergencies. <br /><br />Don't forget to also lubricate the steering assembly and throttle assembly. Good luck.

reka12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more note. Do not forget to inspect the trailer tires for dry rotting. If the hubs have bearing buddies (a greasing fitting in the center) add grease or repack the bearings.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

that # sounds like a 73 # is it manul shift or eletric shift . there isent much difference in the power head . check see if it has one or two cable runing from throddle to motor

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

# showes up as 1975 motor the e isent on the modle list . i have a 1974 and some spare parts ie needed . the pistone in the 74 and 75 are not avaible anymore . the newer ones 3 inch will work with a different wriest pin to convert it . mine needs a new piston on top . it was run lean i guess befor i got it . mine looks like a new motor but trhe cranc was bad . it was run with the #2 coil bad it would start and run for a short distance and break down . the center lobe was danmaged from running it with no preasure on it . one side was damaged and the other side was good . never seen one like it befor . mine is a 1973 70hp evinrude hustler. papasage

pjm257

Cadet

Well I guess I should have read you guys reply before takeing her to the water. LOL Needless to say I put her in the water cranked her up and stall stall stall choke run stall. In the yard with muff on she ran like a champ. But in the water under a load she did nothing. Luckly I was near shore and just had to get wet :*( But hey had to atleast try before sending her to the shop. The pump seemd fine It never got a chance to get hot with all the stalling and choke and stalling. So I just pulled up my britches jumped into the water and pulled her back to the landing.<br /> Now the man at the marina told me the pump doesnt pump water out of the 2 holes under the block untill the termastat kicks in. The water pump does however pump water areound the boot even if the engine isnt waarmed up. And he confirmed your posts here about haveing the carps clean. He says my new OLD boat is suffering from a common illness called bogging. I/E looseing pressure under a load. <br /> 27 bucks for the rebuild kit per carb and 45 for the pump. and then 45 a hour to install. <br /> Im sure I could do this myself given enough time and a maual. But seeing as how I dont and he already has the parts onhand. What the heck Im going for it and takeing it to him. <br /> Luckly this marina goes buy factory time limits on labor so even if it takes him 2 hours to rebuild a carb but the book says it should only take 1 I only get charged for 1. :) <br /> So im basically finding myself spending around 400 more to have my new old boat back in shape by next week end and am looking forward to my first fishing trip in in. <br /> I would however like to purchase the manual for this motor so in the future I can do this type of thing myself. <br /> So Im winding up spending around $1400 for a 1975 tri-hull that is in showroom condition. And I am compleatly satisfied with that. I have been out there and saw the type of "boats" you can buy for $1000 and they well you know lol. <br /> And again thanks guys. <br /> Patrick

pjm257

Cadet

And yes the tires on the trailer are dry rotted. Replaced on of them already and plan to replace the other asap. As far as the lubeing the linkage goes I opened her up today and all linkages were packed well with grease. Just hated getting wet though lol :( <br /> I have to ensure this boat is in top nouch shape though as I take a verry good freind of mine fishing with me alot and he is a above the knee amputee. <br /> Thanks again guys <br /> Patrick

Lazyboy

Recruit

fiance's dad got a steal 2day... went to a garage sale and found a boat with trailer for a 100bux. Boat doest leak but just needs a little TLC. The engine is in good condition... 1978 70hp... we are trying to find out what engine oil we need, and what oil we mix with the fuel system, along with gearcase oils and any other fluids we need to check before we try and spin the engine a few times. We will be getting a service manual to have on hand... and im guessing that the engine is a 2-stroke? Thanks for the help

and like newer boats today... is there any way to hook up a water hose to run boat without towing out to the lake?

Nick

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Nick,you will do better starting your own thread.You want to use 50-1 TCW 3 oil,welcome ,but again.Start a new thread.
PJM,sounds like you found a nice classic.If you have a built in tank,be sure to remove all old gas ,drain into a bucket and check for seperation.Like salad dressing where the water ,or viniger seperate from the oil.If there is water,install a water seperator in line before the eng.Its a good idea to do anyway.If you have portable 6 gallon tanks.Unless they are super duper clean,replace with ones made by tempo of plastic.That will insure against rust particles that build up over time from causing trouble with carbs.I think your money will be wisely spent having a guy rebuild your carbs,new water pump,I would also suggest a NEW thermostat and rebuilding the fuel pump,with the oil in the lower unit changed.AFTER the eng.has run a bit at the shop,ask the mechanic to do a compression test.Good luck and enjoy.