Foiled again

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Well, the carburetor rebuild went so well, I thought I had it made. While replacing the fuel/vacuum hoses I discovered a broken wire, going to the choke solenoid. After further investigation, I discovered all the wiring is so brittle they break like match sticks. With all the wiring shot, I'm wondering about the expensive items like power-pack, stator, rectifier, and other electrics. Now I'm faced with the dilemma of whether I want to pursue restoring this engine or not. <br /><br />Drained and refilled lower unit. No water, milk, or metal. I ran it last about 1992 without any problems. <br /><br />Any suggestions? 1977 35 hp Evinrude electric short-shaft.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Foiled again

main harness is not that expensive and easy to change.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I checked with the local Bomb. dealer. The internal wiring harness is $159.05. It looks like it would be simple to duplicate, once the old one is removed and layed out. The only catch is the large rubber plug. Is there anyway to remove the pins/sockets, install new wires, and put the pins/sockets back in it? Will they just push out the back or pull out the front?

DHPMARINE

Captain

If you look at the big red plug (both sides)you'll see there is noway to remove the pins and sockets.You can rewire both sides of the plugs using bare crimp connectors,solder and heat shrink.The problem that remains is the wiring from your engine components to the engine harness (stator,coils,sensors)etc.<br />your decision.Probably the wire is okay,and liquid tape will help.<br /><br />DHP