carb replacement

gmarshall43

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1959,10hp Johnson that needs a carb. I have a 1954 18hp Johnson that doesn't work but the carb is good. Can I put the 54 carb on the 59 johnson? If I can, will there be a diference in performance? That is, will the 59 Johnson run faster, slower, smoother, etc?<br /><br />thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: carb replacement

Lots of things to consider. First, look carefully at the throttle linkages for both carbs. If the linkage is not "identical, you have a mechanical issue to deal with. If they are identical you passed step 1. Remove both carbs and hold them back to back. If the mounting holes aren't identical, you have another problem. If the mounting holes are spaced the same you passed step 2. Measure the throat diameter (carefully). If the 18 carb throat is larger this is not necessarily a problem but an issue that you'll need to be aware of. If they are the same you passed step 3. Now for step 4. The 18 probably has different jets so not replacing them, and the larger carb throat could cause the 10 HP to run rich. But go ahead and try it. If it works -- great. If not, you still need a carb.