90 V4 Rebuild ?Too Much damage? Pics.

Chesapeake Explorer

Seaman Apprentice
Well I posted in here about 5 months ago about rebuilding my 1988 Evinrude 90. 1800 hours plus. Finally I broke her down after a last ride 2 weeks ago. I figured on damage to pistons but found a spot on the crank I am concered about.. she may be too far gone. I can rebuild but it wont last without major dollars but I don't know what kind of crank damage is acceptable.. Magnaufluxing costs money but how much? and who does that ..It could at least let me know how bad it is.. Well I will be considering all my options new motor, rebuild, rebuilt power head..Ebay crank ect.. take at look at the web page I made.. It tells the whole story and marvel about how much damage a Evinrude can take. Any tips will be appriciated as there may be fixes I dont know about. Heres the link..90 Evinrude Woes

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90 V4 Rebuild ?Too Much damage? Pics.

hello<br /> I am with you. I dont like that crank. however you can send it and the block to Rons marine in portsmouth and he does super work with boring and let him assist with the crank, he has had several rebuilt for me for about 300 dollars.<br /> time to dissasemble and inspect the lower though. hate to spend all the time and money to find a bad lower.

Chesapeake Explorer

Seaman Apprentice

The lower unit will not come apart, without major torching and a puller that no one makes.., The standard OMC pullers will not cut it.. its froze ..bearing carrier to the casing. Its from a 1979 V4. and was in the salt water of the lower Potomac River. I bought it 1000 hours back in 93 after the first lower unit broke the drive shaft at the pinion. that was just bad metal on that one thats all.. Anyway tried to pull it to inspect and it used to slip one in a while when you put it in gear.. Its stopped that though and belive it or not has been a champ.. That said I paid 600 dollars for it used and it looked like it would not last a year by the paint job and slightly bent skeg, I'll put another 300 hours on it in a minute if I get the chance. thanks for the tip to Rons Marine .

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yep, time for a crank repair/replacement and a different rod.<br /><br />Just be aware that if you ask for your crank to be magnafluxed it doesnt mean it will be repaired. Magnafluxing is a method of detecting cracks. You can have it done but we didnt want you to think it would repair anything. <br /><br />In the process the crank will be magnetized. Just make real sure its not still magnetized when you put it back together. Needle bearings dont like that.<br /><br />When you get her going again, check the top rpms. Looks like it was lugging a bit.

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are a lot of low hour mid to late 80’s V-4 to be had for less than it will cost you to rebuild this one. If you do rebuild it, its resale value won’t be any more than the market price for a 17 year-old outboard, probably less. I suggest that you retire her.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Check with a reputable auto crankshaft/engine rebuilder in any relatively large city. I've seen cranks much worse than this repaired. The damaged journals are welded up and then refinished to the proper size. If surface hardening is required thats another story but I don't think that's required on these cranks. Crank repair is not as expensive as one would expect.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That crank does indeed have to be hardend. The rod bearings are rollers, not babbit like a car.

NEECAPRS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Explorer,<br />That's the worst rod bore I've seen yet! The Crankshaft journal will repair nicely though if you get someone who knows what they're doing with roller journals.<br />If you can get to the lower unit and decide to go ahead and repair the powerhead, call us about the crankshaft. Our price for the first rod journal is only $240--and that includes the new bearing and two year warranty.<br />NEECA,LLC (860)683-1317

Chesapeake Explorer

Seaman Apprentice

I am listening for sure to all. considering my options.. resale is not a problem..have had the boat since 1988 not getting rid of it.. A Boston Whaler can hang in there for life. Yes theres older motors to be had at a good price.. a option. Crank repair or getting one from a used motor place a option.. The magnaflux deal ..yes its only to see whats cracked inside..or on the surface where you can see it, invented for aircraft engines parts , then spread to hot rodders ..cycles, boaters ect..in the 60's (Yea I'm old enough to remember all that!) I had a mechanic tell me two years ago that I had got "good use out of that motor" so retirement may well be a option too.. Still got my ears open...I kind of had a sinking feeling when I saw that crank..cause it raised the cost past a point of perhaps no return.. the cyls can be be rebored over sized with good enough results.. but that crank.. If it were the upper journals it would not be carrying all the power strokes but on the bottom it carrys each cylinders power stroke.. good reason for replacing the bottom main bearing on rebuilds as suggested by some of you on this board.

G DANE

Commander

Now and then good used crancks show up at ebay from people parting out burned motors. I think i would look for one if everything else looks good. Buying another used one can mean other unknown issues, nothing is free.

realboats

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to agree with the other posters who said it's time to retire her. That engine really looks to me like it's had it. Guess those horror stories about the VRO's are true, huh?<br /><br />As far as these engines being common, well here in the northeast I've found them to be quite scarce. I haven't been able to find a parts engine for my 110hp anywhere. Mercs seem to be everywhere but not Johnsons. <br /><br />I don't blame you for being a little gun shy of getting another oil injected engine. The Nissan 90hp two stroke is supposed to be pretty awesome, though, if you want to go with a two stroke again. For four stroke, Yamaha's are hard to beat and Honda's are the best if you want to spend a LOT of money. Of course, Johnson and Evinrude are still great motors!

NEECAPRS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Explorer--and anyone else who cares: Just a point of clarification on which parts of the crankshaft are most highly stressed.<br />The lower journals have it easy. The top of the shaft as you get closer to the flywheel really takes a thrashing from third axis rolloff torque as the boat is pounding through heavy surf with the bow heaving up and down. The stresses from power torque are a tiny fraction of these.<br />Regards, NEECA,LLC

Chesapeake Explorer

Seaman Apprentice

True about those motors Realboats. G Dane thanks for the ebay link got a bit excited but its a small bearing crank.. Will be looking there. Retirement may well be the final decision. One reason is the Merc 90 is still being made with carbs I got a quote from a boat show about 5300 dollars. Its the last year that carb 90 will be on sale as next year the 06 rules come in. Would really like a 4 stroke too but the 75's and up are really too heavy for a 17 Montauk Classic. they sit real low with that much weight 375 lbs. The Merc 60 looks good but I am leary of the computerized stuff.. cant work on it without factory scan tools ect,and would miss that "E 90 " horsepower. the Johnson 90 is too high in price for me.. Oh well. one way or another I will be back on the water if it means saving up and taking the Whaler out on the electric trolling motor for a while! I could put her in at the Occoquan River watershed where your limited to 9.9 hp.. she would be a "battleship" there with the trolling motor jon boats! I can save this ole motor with a rebore and 4 pistons , bearings and a ebay crank ,might just do that.. will let you know how things work out in a few months. Thanks for your tips.

Chesapeake Explorer

Seaman Apprentice

Neecaprs. thanks for that info.. That makes sense as why there is a single ball bearing on the bottom and a double roller on top..

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

chesapeake<br /> I may have an option. I do have a complete 1989 88 spl shortblock with a burned piston. I sold the mid section and gear case and saved the power head for a project. and the reason for a ball bearing lower is to absorb the vertical thrust loads. that is why I will not reuse them.I also know where a clean 1995 90hp 60* motor is with a scuffed piston for about 1k. its complete but bad compression in 1 hole.

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

If you decide to retire her send her to me :D cause to find a crank and rebuild with new parts you will end up with a motor that you know the history on. You know what has and hasn't been done. Rebuilt correctly she will give you years of great use. You see how much abuse one can take now imagine if you were to take care of it from the beginning. You will also feel some great acomplishment knowing you are the reason it stills runs great :p

realboats

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chesapeake Explorer, that's good to know about the Merc carb models. I may be able to get a killer deal from a local dealer if I hold out long enough. <br /><br />Rodbolt, if you would like to sell any ignition parts from your 88 spl, please drop me an email at realboats@aol.com. I believe this is the same block used in the 90hp and 110hp?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

By Chesapeake Explorer
In 1992 Had trouble with VRO horns, seized motor two times, shut down both times before seizing fully...
Do you mean that you ran it even though the warning horns were going off? Or that the horns did not go off when when there was no oil? <br /><br />From the looks of your photos, two pistons were oil starved and scored badly, the other two are not. That is not the signature of VRO problems. <br /><br />At any rate, the motor is a testament to OMC for building a tough motor.

Chesapeake Explorer

Seaman Apprentice

In 1992 the VRO horn started going off , after checking the simples.. air leak ect. I replaced..<br />1. the oil Tank Sending unit<br />2. The horn<br />3. The VRO (160 dollars then)<br /><br />The horns stopped.. When it seized I was running flat out.. now I had a small amount of oil in the tank about 1/4 full.. I suspected that the tank pulled air on the boat moving around up and down and a seize started. I could tell by the sound she was seizing and shut down she stopped. i removed the cover and began to move the flywheel ..it was a stuck seized motor.. a bit more on the fly wheel and it came loose started up and go. Same thing about 6 months later. Pulled the heads and saw the scoring figured that the end was near.. That was more then 10 years and 1000 hour plus ago. I am leaning to a new motor I have three years to go to retire and can buy one now by working some OT and tighting my belt a few months to get a motor loan down to a small payment.It will be paid off in 3 years and I will have a "new " 3 yr old motor for my "old age" retirement . I will be 51 in April.. the old age is a joke in a way.. in a way its not.. Thanks To all!