Boyesen Reeds?

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer
I am sure this topic has been discussed on here before, but I am new to this forum so I am going to bring it up again and maybe somebody can give me some insite.<br /><br />After a closer inspection, I believe I have finally found the cause of my idle problem. It turns out the reeds were not sealing. One of the reed blocks was even rusted and pitted. Somebody suggested replacing the reeds with Boyesen reeds. Do these really make a difference in performance? I know my factory reeds are bad and I will need to change them, but I am wondering if they will be worth the money? I have read that it will change the performance of the motor, but I would like to have the opinion of somebody who has actually made the switch. What exactly do they come with? I will need the block for sure and of course enough reeds to change the both sides. I should be able to obtain the reed block from a friend of mine, but I was wandering do they come with the new reeds?<br />By the way, the light trick worked. I used a flashlight in the dark and was surprised how much light you could see around the edges.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Boyesen Reeds?

They'll give you a better quality idle, a bit better acceleration, and maybe just a tad more top end. Their biggest problem is durability. Especially if the motor is prone to backfiring or "sneezing" when cold. If you have that problem at all, you might wish to rejet the idle circuit for a slightly richer mixture.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

All you need is the reed block. The Boyesens come with everything else you need except the gaskets. We always surface the reed blocks and pay attention to which side of the fiber reeds goes down. <br /><br />About the only thing that harms a Boyesen reed is if the motor sneezes at idle. That will burn the tips and ruin them. Just rejet the idle circuit richer and then work your way back to perfect. Oh, and if you use the stock reed stops, that will break them. Just use the rev plate that comes in the kit. <br /><br />They're a great product. I've sold a bunch and used a bunch.

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

I do have the problem with the motor backfiring or sneezing when its cold, but of course its doing that now even when its warm with the bad reeds. You both suggested to rejet the idle circuit for a slightly richer mixture, could you explain? I assume you are talking about the jets in the carbs. What size would I need and where can I find them?

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Just bringing this back to the top. Dhadley, what size jets do you thing I might need?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

To be honest I dont remember what sizes were in there from the factory. It really doesnt matter because you need to know whats in there now. In 30 years someone might have changed them. They're fairly easy to get to. They're on the side of each carb. They're stamped so just pull them out and then get 4 more that are 3 numbers larger. They meter fuel so going bigger adds fuel. <br /><br />If you work with a dealer who has a jet selection (lots do) buy 4 that are 5 numbers bigger and then trade down for the best idle. A lot depends on the motor and its condition but usually 3 numbers do it.

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a set of Boyesen reeds today on ebay for $101.00. I cant wait to try them out. I will look into rejetting the carbs tomorrow.

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

I finally finished installing the Boyesen reeds and I have to say it really made a diffence in the way the motor starts and idles.<br />As soon as I finish replacing the the throttle cable and a few worn parts it the shift controller and I am going to take the boat out and see how the top end fairs.<br />Thanks to everybodys help. I am really glad I found this board. :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

We're glad youre here too! keep us posted. Glad you -- like me -- like the Boyesen reeds.

phatmanmike

Captain

well, how did it do on the water. im having exactly same problems with mine and i wanna know how the reeds worked out !?!?!

phatmanmike

Captain

yes, the sneeze. see my other post in ths forum for full details and a chat with d.hadley :)

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

myoutboards, I forgot to post. The boat runs great. It starts easy with just a bump of the key, and at wot it seems to have a little more power. I am very pleased with Boyesen reeds. <br />People who know, use them.