Is this tachometer usable?

piniongear

Seaman
I have bought a new O/S Faria tachometer model TC9005A (7000 rpm) tagged 'for outboard use only' to replace the old one that burned out.My engine is a 1993 Johnson 90HP.<br /> The problem is that I was expecting to find a selection of 1 thru 6 on the back, but it has only 1 thru 5. Since I understand that I must set a tach at '6' for my engine, does this mean I cannot use this Faria? Any comments will be welcome...<br />Thanks, piniongear

ob

Admiral
Re: Is this tachometer usable?

Are there any other numbers along side the 1-5 on the back of the tach?Rodbolt cleared up a question like this about a month ago.The numbers 1-5 on the back of the tach may correspond to the number of poles for each setting.For example:<br /><br />Position 1 2 3 4 5 <br /> 4p 6p 8p 10p 12p <br /><br />I believe your engine has a 6 pole alternator.This example would mean that position 2 would be yours.This is just an example and not telling you to set at position 2 as I am not sure what the specific settings of that tach are.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> your 90 has a 12 pole 6 pulse altenator. if there is no swicth setting info on the tach you will have to call faria. my opinion of faria products is rather low.

piniongear

Seaman

I stand corrected (again). Closer inspection revealed that there is a sticker on the back stating a 12 pole needs to be set at 5. So it sounds like that is my answer. Thanks for the comments ob and rodbolt.<br /> Oh, regarding Faria products, my dealer has a very high opinion of them, saying that Faria will rebuild any unit that fails. All you have to do is send it in. That sounds like unusally good customer service if true. Too each his own I guess........piniongear