Head Gasket Replace 85 Evy 90hp

Ol Yank

Cadet
I am replacing the port head gasket on my 1985 Evinrude 90 4 cyl VRO Model # E90TLCOS I have a replacement gasket from Evinrude # 318358 (from an Evinrude dealer)<br /><br /><br />The original gasket appeared to have some blue gasket sealer on it. (It came off real easy).<br /><br />The replacement gasket is a different material (dark grey). The dealer told me to apply gasket sealer to the gasket (where it covers the water jacket). Should I use Permatex non-hardening?<br /><br />Gasket package says BRP US inc. Evinrude / Johnson<br /><br />Also, the gasket says to place the tab at the top and arrow pointing to the exhaust cover. Is the exhaust cover on the inboard side of the piston or the outboard side of the piston (port bank)?<br /><br />Sorry for the stupid question, I am still waiting for my manual.<br /><br />TIA<br />Ol Yank

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Head Gasket Replace 85 Evy 90hp

You are not supposed to put sealer on that new gasket. It comes from BRP impregnated with sealant already. Otherwise as Laddiesservies stated, the exhaust is in the middle between the two banks of cylinders.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Head Gasket Replace 85 Evy 90hp

hello<br /> yep arrow to the middle. I use omc/brp gasket maker or quick silver perfect seal.<br /> also use a straight edge and a .002 feeler gauge to check the flatness of the head.