Gel Seal

Harker

Chief Petty Officer
The manual says to lay a bead around the block inside the bolt holes..then to spread it out evenly..what do you guys use to spread it out? Acid brush? Also, what can I use to seat the lower seal into the race besides an OMC seal installer tool? I ruined a new one yesterday and need to order another(grrrrr..).

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gel Seal

what do you guys use to spread it out?
My finger. Cheapest thing I could find.<br /><br />As for the seal, the right tool is best but sometimes you can use the flat side of a socket. It just depends on which style seal it is.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

One thing I might add here is cleanlyness. Make sure both faces of the block are free of all old sealer, and use the Loc- Quik primer. Have everything laid out in order, so that everything is right at hand when you fit the face of the block on. I always wash my hands to make sure they are free of grease, or oil before applying the sealer. Taking the phone off the hook, and locking the shop door is not a bad idea either. One of the most sinking feelings I ever had was watching a puff of blue smoke come out of the side of a V-6.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks fellers. I was worried that my finger would contaminate the seal...I guess I'll have to wash my hands first. I was reading about the primer and it said it you can do without it if the engine isn't going to be run for 24 hours...should I still use it? Doesn't it make the Gell Seal kick a lot faster? Dhadley, I used too small a socket I guess. I will make up something with a large washer and try and tap the new one in..when I get it. Should the lip of the seal be flush with the race or does the seal have to be bottomed out in the race? The picture in the manual is pretty vague. It's the lower seal bore on a 30hp 1992+ 2cyl Johnson. Thanks again....Lee

reeldutch

Lieutenant

i dont know how big the seal is we are talking about. i used a wooden dowel.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The Gel Seal sets in the absense of air. We've had motors apart and fired them up as soon as they were back together. Way less than 24 hours. You tend to do funny things with race motors. <br /><br />Anyway, it would help to know what motor we're working on as a lot of motors use different seals. We just dont want to mislead anyone with info that may or may not apply to your motor.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Latex gloves maybe? I'm getting to the point of buying them by the case from Harbor Freight when they go on sale at $3+ for a 100.