Johnson 35 - graham uk - more problems!

graham uk

Cadet
Hi again,<br />Apologies for forgetting the HP and year ! Yes it is the 1983 35hp.Many thanks for all your replies and assistance,I have never had this engine out on the water as I have been fitting it out over the winter,yesterday I fitted the motor again and it started second turn,(super..or so I thought)I now have a few problems...1.The motor will not turn off with the key?? (I had to disconnect the fuel line and choke it) 2.I ran the motor in a trash can (or dustbin!) and there was no tell tale hence my panic when I couldnt turn it off!<br />I have had the motor since september 2004 and that was the last time I ran it in a bucket before yesterday,that is. My main concern is the lack of a tell tale,from reading the forums I need to change the impeller,is this a straightforward task covered in the manual? (when I get it).<br />Oh yes one more thing, when fireman57 refers to changing the water pump - is that the same as the impeller? - only the water pump sounds expensive!<br />The oil which I think leaked from the leg smelt only like clean oil and looked like clean oil too.<br />Thanking you all in anticipation...Graham

Laddies

Banned
Re: Johnson 35 - graham uk - more problems!

It sounds like the kill wire on the ign system is undone either at the switch or engine that should be blk/yellow and the tell tale could be pluged or the impeller has left us

DHPMARINE

Captain

I'll have to pay more attention to this topic.BUT if the tell tale worked last Sept. ... maybe probe the tell tale with a small wire to see if dirt has clogged it.<br /><br />DHP

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

When you run an outboard in a tub be sure it sits down far enough in the water. Simply submerging the prop and water pickup might not be far enough with the motor in neutral The prop isn't spinning so it doesn't push water into the pickup. The water pump is still dry, the rubber impeller inside it is just spinning air, an there isn't enough suction to get water moving through the motor. I paniced at this too.

D

DJ

If you do not know when the impeller (water pump) was changed. It's due. The manual will take you step by step.

graham uk

Cadet

All, many thanks as usual for your invaluable advice... I now have a few things to consider and check while waiting for my manual to arrive.<br />The running of the motor in neutral I find especially interesting.<br />Again many thanks,I'll let you know what happens!

fireman57

Captain

Yeah, I should have said impeller. Some get the whole kit and kaboodle and change it. I sort of agree with DHP about the tell tale just being clogged. Have seen a few with bug houses on them. One other thing, when running in a tub or trash can it sometimes takes 30 or 40 seconds to come out the telltale. It makes for a tense time but it takes a while to circulate through then enging. You also do not have the back pressure you do when it is in the water. Good luck. Most of the time it would help if you stay with your original thread. It is easier to follow.

graham uk

Cadet

Hi again,<br />Going in the garage now to check the wiring colours on the motor.Noted re keeping to the same thread thanks.<br />When the motor was warming up and I was running around panicking I did notice that a 'puff' or two of smoke and / or steam was puffing out of the tell tale hole...this perhaps suggests that the water wasn't being drawn through the motor? Anyway it is my intention to sort the kill switch problem before starting the motor again !<br />I ran the motor for about three or four minutes so plently of time for tell tale,but not if it wasn't deep enough??...will try again in gear when I have sorted the first problem.<br />Again many thanks to you all for your assistance.

fireman57

Captain

Once you can kill the engine at will change the impeller. It doesn't cost much and we will all sleep better.

graham uk

Cadet

Hello again all,<br />Too cold for the garage lately but I've been concentrating on the kill switch problem.I have the following wiring situation ..... the first colour indicates the wires which enter the engine cover and the second colour indicates the colour of the wire on the motor loom to which the first colour is connected.<br /><br />PURPLE CONNECTS TO YELLOW/BLACK<br />PURPLE/WHITE " PURPLE/WHITE<br />RED/PURPLE " RED/PURPLE<br />GREY " GREY/YELLOW<br />BROWN " BROWN<br />YELLOW/RED " YELLOW/RED<br />BLACK " BLACK<br />BLACK/YELLOW " ?????????<br /><br />The last wire,as per ladiesservice comment above seems to be the problem,however, has anyone got an idea where its meant to go so I can try it!<br />My manual still hasn't arrived from amazon!

graham uk

Cadet

Hi again all,<br />You were spot on ... the impeller had left us and had welded itself to the housing and cap!<br />Anyway all changed (with the help of the manual which has now arrived)and all well... she's pumping away like a right one...please forgive me with a stupid question but as I now have a tell tale squirt...I can worry about other things.<br />Looking at the motor from the rear I can see two holes of about 6/7 mm diameter which appear to be exhausts ie.exhaust gases and hot water seem to pump from here?? However I thought the exhaust gases escaped from the prop??<br />Any ideas anyone?? Thanks.

Paul Moir

Admiral

At idle, the engine has trouble pumping exhaust gasses underwater to the prop, so it comes out through those holes. In fact, they're called idle relief holes. Some of the cooling water escapes with the gasses. If you didn't already know, almost all the cooling water goes out with the exhaust.<br />If you were to plug those holes, the engine will begin to load up and idle rough. It will also change it's idle rpms a lot by how deep in the water the leg is.<br /><br />Once you hit the throttle the engine can overcome the pressure, and when it's in forward the exhaust gass will get sucked right out the back of the prop.

graham uk

Cadet

Many thanks again ... Just needed some confirmation that all was normal as I was beginning to think something else was wrong !<br /><br />I can now concentrate on my kill switch electrical problems in the knowledge that i'm not going to blow the whole thing up !<br />Again,your help is greatly appreciated.