1977 100 hp Evinrude

Predator_123

Cadet
I just bought a 16 ft Bomber fishing boat and it has a 1977 100 HO Evinrude and I don't know anything thing about it and can't find and information on it. Please help if you can tell me anything about it or where to find information on it.

johnrude

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1977 100 hp Evinrude

Can you find the model # on it. If so post it and we can tell ya what it is.

ob

Admiral

Look on the transom bracket or for a freezeplug looking welsh plug on the engine block and post what numbers you find.

ob

Admiral

100193A is a 1971 model.Best bet for complete info on your engine is to obtain a good service manual.Factory one if possible.Get a general info manua by clicking at the bottom of this page or one place on line that carries an engine specific manual is web page<br /><br />Seems there's always someone who just recently purchased a used rig that were led to believe that the engine is a later year model than it turns out to be. :(

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

And so that you won't be confused by the shift arangement of that engine as compared with others, the following may be of interest to you.<br /><br />(Hydro Electric Shift)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />The shifting setup of the lower unit is what's called a "Hydro Electric Shift", which is quite complex consisting of voltage being applied to solenoids in the lower unit which in turn change oil passages via a oil pump that supplies various pressure on a spring loaded shifter dog. The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.<br /> <br />You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Preminum Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube) <br /><br />In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire. <br />In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one. <br />In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear) <br /><br />To check the lower unit for proper shifting to make sure you have no trouble there, remove the spark plugs to avoid problems and to allow a higher cranking speed. <br /><br />This next step eliminates the actual shift switch in case problems may exist there.... Disconnect the blue & green wires at the knife connectors (the rubber insulated boots) leading to the lower unit at the powerhead, then using jumpers, take voltage direct from the starter solenoid to apply voltage to the "Green" wire for neutral, then both wires 'Green" & "Blue" for reverse (Remember the engine must be cranking over in order to shift).<br /> <br />With no voltage applied, the unit should be in forward. No need for a ground jumper... the lower unit's already grounded. You may crank the engine with the key switch or by energizing the starter solenoid with a jumper wire.

Predator_123

Cadet

Thank you for the info. <br /><br />Now that I know what year it is and stuff I will be able to orde manuals.<br /><br />Does this motor run on straight unleaded?

Predator_123

Cadet

I guess I should probably go on record that I bought this but the day after the person I bought it from bought it so I didn't get any history or knowlage transfer from the person that actually used this boat. I just know that once I was told the price it wouldn't last long so I jumped on it. 1200.00 16 ft Bomber Hornet with 100hp Evinrude, foot controoled trolling motor, fishfinder, powere trim and live well.<br /><br />Does anyone know anything about this boat?<br /><br />I can't find anything on the boat either.<br /><br />Thanks!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on a 71 100 use a 50/1 gas oil mix. use TCW III oil and unleaded fuel.

D

DJ

87 octane. Premium adds no benefit to a stock outboard.

Predator_123

Cadet

Thanks for the info guys. My brother was right this board is awesome with all the knowledge

Predator_123

Cadet

Well I tried to start it and had the button in Neutral however the prop was trying to spin when I tried to crank it over. Now it won't even crank after I played with the buttons. Does anyone have any sugesstions?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Josh

ledgefinder

Ensign

The throttle has to be way down (closed or almost closed). There's an interlock switch on the powerhead - on the throttle linkage. It grounds a wire when the throttle position is low enough. The wire leads around to the solenoid. The solenoid will only work, allowing the motor to crank, when this wire is grounded. I am being long-winded because this interlock switch is often bad on those motors. Pull the wire free from it's connection on the interlock switch, and hold it down while someone tries the ignition key. Did that do it? OK, then there's your problem.<br /><br />The prop spinning while cranking in neutral is normal. The hyraulic-electric lower units are spring-loaded to go into forward when the power is cut off (so if the shift solenoids fail, you still have forward gear and can make it home). So when the motor is shut off, it's in forward gear. It takes a few spins to for the pump to move the fluid and shift to neutral. It it doesn't shift once it's running, then OK we got problems.

oharek

Recruit

i have a 71 johnson 125 and it will not shift out of neutral. It just sits and revs up. I check the LU lube and it was fine now water, just clean lube, any ideas?