72 Johnson 60hp wont start

erikthered

Cadet
OK I have spark, I have fuel. I prime the manual primer until its hard. Then hit the start, the motor backfires. Then, gas/oil mix drains out of a hole in the bottom of (foot?) Last attempt fuel water mixture Looked like came out the bottom which i guess is exuast?? Any help?? Thank You.

erikthered

Cadet
Re: 72 Johnson 60hp wont start

I just took the clear bowl off i could here air seepinf from it while priming????? maybe thats bad

erikthered

Cadet

what position should the throttle be in there are no markings on it??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Erik.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Sounds like a sheared flywheel key to me.<br /><br />Go to Engine FAQs, do the "Outboard wont start" troubleshooting.<br /><br />Come back and tell us what you find, INCLUDING the model number of your engine.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

erikthered

Cadet

thank you for the help. OK there is also a small cylender electrical component on the side of flywheel, it has 3 wires, 2 are in a connector hooked up properly, there is a greenone that is not going to anything. Gouing out to check flywheel now. THIS SITE IS GREAT!!! Realtime help LOL

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Model number? :confused:

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That's a 67, V-4, I was trying to figure out where you found that clear bowl.

erikthered

Cadet

ok i just took off the flywheel. I am not sure if the key is good or bad. I dont know what to look for. its about an inch and a half long and is flush to the shaft at the bottom and sticks out at about 1/8 inch at the top. Is it suppose to be angled like that? The sides are slightly worn. Thanks