Tachometer for 1883 75hp Seahorse

Jilly - 5

Seaman
Bought an OMC full gauge (rpm, oil, temp) on e-bay for a trivial sum, but can't figure out the hook-up. Obviously, I'm only interested in the tach. Harness is 8-wire, gauge has positions for 5 or 6 pul/rev on the back side and brochure (minus connection instructions) says for 1996 and after OMC Engine Minder modules. Back of gauge says for use on alternator equipped engines.<br /><br />Can I get just the tach part to work? If so, What wires go where on the engine?

angus63

Captain
Re: Tachometer for 1883 75hp Seahorse

Set it on 6 pulse<br />Red wire 12V+<br />Black wire Ground<br />Gray wire Send (signal)<br />Good luck

Jilly - 5

Seaman

Soooo....<br /><br />Where is grey wire connected on my Seahorse, and,<br /><br />Can red go to battery, or must it shut off w/ignition?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

a picture of your control box and the back of the tach will help. most the later style boxes had a rubber plug just below the keyswitch. it has the proper wires all ya have to do is buy the harness. purple on your engine is key on 12v black is ground and gray is tach send, however in that system check tach. did you get the harness that plugs into the tach itself?

Jilly - 5

Seaman

I have a partial harness with the 8-pin plug (I say partial because someone cut the harness wires cleanly , leaving about 8" of wire. So I have to extend the three wires involved, by lengths determined by where they end up. I don't have the capacity to send pictures and my control box (modified from a prior 40 hp Johnson) has ignition key set-up separate from box - no "rubber plug)). I'm asking about the final destination for each of the three wires you mention.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

purple to purple at the keyswitch black to black at the key switch and someplace on the harness near the key switch is a gray wire, gray to gray. if the ign harness has no gray lead run a wire from the yellow gray or gray wire terminal strip on the stbd side of the engine.

Jilly - 5

Seaman

Thank you. I'll raise the canvas this weekend and put my nose under the tent. Will try to find your words in the wires. Thanx so much.