My Johnson's soft... (Bulb)

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
I've been reading the forum for a few weeks. What a tresure trove if valuable info Thank you all. <br /><br />It seems when a fuel problem is questioned the consensus is squeeze the fuel bulb while the engines are running. If it's hard things are good, if soft and can be pumped there is an air leak. <br /><br />My pair of Johnson 150's when pumped are both soft and can be squeezed several times while the engines are running (3000 rpm). <br /><br />Should I start looking for a leak??<br /><br /><br />Many thanks<br /><br />Richard

Walker

Captain
Re: My Johnson's soft... (Bulb)

Your bulb will be somewhat soft while running.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't make problems where there aren't any. You have misinterpreted the hard vs soft bulb. With the engine off, squeezing the bulb pumps fuel to the carb float chambers until the float closes hence stopping fuel flow. At this point the bulb is hard. When you start the engine, obviously fuel will be drawn from the carbs and the tank and since the bulb typically lays horizontally, it will go soft. You only have a problem if the bulb is sucked flat. The reason we recommend squeezing the bulb on a poor running engine is to make sure it's not a fuel starvation problem. The fact the bulb is soft is not indication of a problem.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Thank's for the clairfication. I KNEW it would be easier to check here before tearing into everything.<br /><br />Best regards friends,<br /><br />Richard