Performance mods on '67 Evinrude V4 60HP

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This is probably pretty much a joke thread but I'm interested in whether there's much that can be done to get anything worthwhile out of it.<br /><br />I have no experience in performance mods on 2 strokes.<br /><br />I understand performance things on '60's - '70's 4 strokes like porting and polishing, and other stuff like extractors and carbies and boring and stroking etc.<br /><br />My gut feeling on my old V4 Evinrude is that I could spend a lot of money and a lot of time squeezing an extra few per cent out of it that might matter in competition but not in real life.<br /><br />I suspect that the same motor with an electronic ignition would beat anything I could get with things like porting etc.<br /><br />Anybody know?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Performance mods on '67 Evinrude V4 60HP

I think a real challenge on one of these old V-4's would be to see if you could get it to drink more fuel. They really had that nailed.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahahahaha<br /> yep<br /> I skied behind one. 6 gallons to get away from the marina,6 gallons to make 3 or 4 laps and 6 gallons to get back. dang think drank almost as much as a buddy's 454 jet drive. :) but it was reliable anyway.

Laddies

Banned

Ck with Dhadley he can make them V/4s beat all of them I/6s---haha---Bob

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Second engine I ever rebuilt was one of these old V4 monsters. Took it to Canada lotta times and always reliable. But loved gas. We carried two six gal gas tanks and a spare 5 gal can. My buddie had a 70 Johnny he bought new. We'd leave the shore, run about 8 miles to fish, putt around and come back to the landing. My buddies 70 might, just might use 3/4 tank while I'm on the better part of the second tank which was ready to go dry. But like rodbolt said....very reliable engine.

ledgefinder

Ensign

Best thing might be to raise the motor on the transom. Go higher until you start cavitating on the corners, or start losing water pressure. If I remember right, those older OMCs are a good bit longer than 20"; transom clamp to cavitation plate. Raising it will get you a few more MPH, plus maybe a few more MPG. <br /><br />Past that, I'd leave it alone unless you are dying to fool with it, and don't mind killing it. Most effective mods are to raise the ports a bit (& square them off, leaving some radius), and dry out the exhaust some. This requires tearing the motor right down. Easiest mods are advancing the WOT timing, and milling the heads. Both can melt a piston top pretty quick. Try the website 'scream & fly' for more outboard performance ideas. <br /><br />Actually, easiest thing is probably to put that motor on about a 14' aluminum v-hull rowboat...

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by R.Johnson:<br /> I think a real challenge on one of these old V-4's would be to see if you could get it to drink more fuel. They really had that nailed.
You're probably right. I think the factory did an outstanding job there.<br /><br />I can't go on a long trip because the boat would sink under the weight of the fuel required.