can i run a electric shift motor with out the lower unit on it

nicksupe

Recruit
i have a 125 electric shift motor with out a lower unit can i runit with out the lower unit on it. i tried and im not getting a spark on the plug do you know why im not getting a spark

ob

Admiral
Re: can i run a electric shift motor with out the lower unit on it

No.You can't.It would have no cooling water.You can crank it but just don't start it.There could be any number of things that could cause a no spark issue.I highly suggest an engine specific manual to use as a guide to walk you through the ignition component troubleshooting procedures.It'll be the cheapest part you buy.

G DANE

Commander

You could hook a hose up to the copper tube, leading cooling water from the lower unit to powerhead. Should provide the cooling needed.

ob

Admiral

I would not recommend running a thru hub exhaust engine with a hose stuck on the water tube and the lower unit off.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

You can run it up to a half-minute, no more. It won't need cooling water right away. It won't generate enough heat to do any damage. Dragsters run without cooling systems, they just run for a minute or two at a time. But if you want it to run longer than a half-minute, then you'll need cooling water.<br /><br />Does a 1972 still have an amplified ignition system? The amps are usually the culprit there. If it's CD ignition, then it could be a few things. Amplified ignition has 1 coil and a distributor under the flywheel. CD ignition has individual coils for each cylinder.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

ob....I'm interested in your views as to why you wouldn't recommend running on a hose stuck to the water tube....mostly for my own head..... :) <br /><br />EDIT: I've never done this before to any engine...signed...Curious In Ohio.. :)

phatmanmike

Captain

hello, i HAVE done this before. it works just fina as long as the motor is no more than a high idle, wich is what you should be at the muffs anyways!<br /><br />i have done this on many motors and it works fine! you DO have to cut the end of the garden hose off and hose clamp it to the water pickup tube. so make sure the wife sint gonna try to water the flowers any time today, or youll get the evil wife treatment.<br /><br />i actually preffer this method, because with the engine OFF, you can still check the water flow and check for leaks.<br /><br />i have done this with inline 6 mercs and 2 cylinder johnsons. i was gonna do it with my 115 v4 yesterday, but it has TWO water pickup tubes and i didnt wanna kill TWO garden hoses.<br /><br />i dont understand how this could cause ANY harm to the engine. the water is still coming in and going out the same place.<br /><br />if anybody KNOWS why i shouldnt, or anybody else shouldnt do this to an outboard, please respond. thanks<br /><br />mike

ob

Admiral

Being as how the original poster indicates he has a no spark issue ,I don't think he'll be running it with or without the lower unit attached yet.<br /><br />First thing I would ask is why would you want to?What are you going to gain?The cooling water in a thru hub exhaust also cools the inner exhaust housing.That's why the exhaust housing routes through the leg in the first place.Why not just put the engine together and then perform your run tests?There are probably a dozen ways one could run an engine that is not completely assembled for 30 or more seconds without catatstrophic damage,none of which you will find as a competent procedure in a reputable shop or manual.Rather than discuss the details of what it may or may not hurt and why,I just give my recommendation and go on.Others may differ.I would also be interested to hear some sound reasons of why?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The OMC exhaust housing use's what is called a whet sleeve, it is mean't to be a sound dead'nr for a more quite operation. It probably breaks up more resonance, then it does actual exhaust note. Running without the gearcase, but with a hose attached to the water tube, all you are going to get is a lot of noise, and water coming out of a big hole

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys....points taken and understood. I have never run an engine with a hose attached to the water tube....really couldn't see what the benifits would be. I was just curious in your opinions. Always nice to get observations and opinions from other wrenches.<br /><br />Thanks.....Jim