Lower unit seal kit, little confusion

Crappie_Fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a lower unit seal kit(I think it says gearhousing seal kit)part # 18-2684 for my 1974 25 hp Evinrude. I have everything taken apart, things seem pretty straight foward. However some of the seals in my kit dont look like the ones I pulled out, like the seal right under the impeller, it seems a little thicker than the one I assume goes back in, not to mention I have alot of extra seals in the package. So far I have removed one of the silvery looking seals, which was on the prop shaft, and the o-ring that goes with it. And the other one is the under the impeller, The other seals( bronze colored) seem about the same O.D. but like I was saying there thinner than the one I pulled. Does anyone know where exactly which of these seals go? I'd really appreciate it. Also I know the fat o-ring is for the shift rod, and is it just one of those round gaskets that go under it, or do both go under it?<br /><br />
seals.jpg

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lower unit seal kit, little confusion

I put the same kit in my 1967 Johnson 20HP FD21 this fall. The guys here in the forum helped me so much I've been hooked on the site ever since. Search under "itstippy" and look for "Gearcase seal kit cry for help" and read what these guys had to say.<br />I put one of the silver colored seals on the prop shaft head assembly along with one of the black rubber orings. I put BOTH of the thin bronze colored seals on the driveshaft, one atop the other, replacing the thicker single silver one that was there. Worked nice; the seals matched to a slightly different part of the shaft than the old one, avoiding a groove that had started to wear. The little dinky oring goes on the screw that holds the shift assembly (outside of case, by the oil plugs. The little fat oring goes on the shift rod under the shift rod bushing. I just used one of those little composit washer gaskets. When I was done I had this left over: One silver colored prop seal, one big black prop head oring, one little composit washer. I can only assume they use the same kit for different motors, so there's extra stuff for any given motor. Drove me nuts to have "spare parts" left over, but everything works great. I got little nylon washers for the oil plugs in my kit too, to further confuse things. The idiot I bought the motor from didn't bother putting the washers on the oil plugs, and I was very ignorant about outboards. I'd never seen these washers before and didn't know what they were - no wonder I had water in the gearcase!

Crappie_Fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Lower unit seal kit, little confusion

Hey thanks, I was thinking about just stacking the two skinny seals. I already took the two nylon washers out and tried that before I decided that wasnt where the water was coming from. I believe my water was coming in through the shift rod o-ring and bushing, mine were wore slap out. Not to mention I had to tapp the bushing, thread a bolt in it to push it out, but it needed replacing anyways.<br /><br />Thanks again