1956 Evinrude 18 hp fuel pump vs pressure tank

madmcvay

Recruit
Someone give me an idea as to which procedure would be easier/more cost effective. Would it be better to convert my engine to using a fuel pump or to build a new pressurized tank? If the conversion is recomended, any idea as to where to obtain a fuel pump? Any info greatly appreciated.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: 1956 Evinrude 18 hp fuel pump vs pressure tank

Tanks are available...someone will be along shortly to continue this. I have an 58 18 I'm parting out, but its a twin hose, and I don't have the hose or tank. Sit tight, you'll get a lot of response on this! And welcome to the crowd here at Iboats. Robby

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

For the sake of practicality it would be better to mount a fuel pump. You'll need a pulse to drive it. That can be supplied by the same fitting that pressurizes the tank. On the backside of it there's a tiny reed valve. The best way to eliminate that would be to remove the intake manifold and take it off. I believe you might get away with finding something to poke into the fitting and just push the reed and bend it so it won't seat anymore. The flaw with that procedure is the possibility of the reed breaking and passing thru the motor.<br /><br />I had a 1970(?) 50Hp evinrude that had a pump with a pulse hose fitting, otherwise most pulse ports are on the back and mount to the crankcase. The biggest hurdle is where to put it. There isn't alot of room and it's a somewaht large pump. They have smaller pumps for smaller motors, but I don't think they'd have enough pumping capacity.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi MadMcVay,<br /> There is absolutely nothing "impractical" about the old dual line tanks. They are quite common - turn up on ebay all the time. I've got several extras myself. The system works well, is very reliable (many working 50+ years after the fact!), and rebuild kits and dual line hose are readily available if needed. Plus, if you convert it, you'll lose a bit of "originality" value...<br />- Scott

alcan

Commander

Right now you have no tank? If this is the case I feel it's just about even money and convenience. It would be alot easier if you had a tank and just had to over haul it. These tanks can be found at yard sales junk sales,etc. You should be able to get one at a reasonable price under $50. You may be able to find a guy like me who has already done the dirty work for you and will sell you a rebuilt tank w/hose for around $100. Check your local repair shops they may have a tank ready to go. The fuel pump deal is good as well. I feel that it costs more most of the time, don't forget you stil need to buy a tank and hose w/fittings. Here is the way I look at this situation. There are vast numbers of good 50's model OMC outboards around. Most haven,t been used up due the fuel system quit working, along with a few other minor details. Basicly if you have a good working tank you have a credit card to the worrld of inexpencive quality used outboards. I've had to throw in a free motor with the sale of a rebuilt tank more than once.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You can use the fuel by-pass cover off the later 18, 20, 0r 25. The fuel pump bolts direct to this. Use the pump from any of the above motors. There is enough room under your engine cover to do this. Unscrew the nipple from the intake manifold, this is what pumps air to your 2 line tank, screw in a 1/8" pipe plug. The single line connector will bolt right up where the 2 line connector is. The trouble with the pressure tank is that if you forget to unscrew the pressure cap when not in use, and the hose leaks, or breaks, "and it will" you could have gas every where. If it's your unlucky day it will be the the garage. If real unlucky, an attached garage.