Cant find a prop Johnson 100ESL72R

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,<br /><br />It seems when I want to buy a prop for this 72 Johnson 100, that i usaully get listings up to 1968, and then again after 1974. The only jonny V-4 prop i can find anywhere (on the net)is for a "125 hp thru hub 13 spline."<br /><br />Should I order based on the 68?<br /><br />Any help much appreciated, i just want a "gear down" prop for pulling skiers days.

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Cant find a prop Johnson 100ESL72R

13 spline for V4 applications will be the prop then, 85HP-up, thru-hub exhaust.<br />EDIT: some of the tripples use the same prop....60-75HP...

walleyehed

Admiral

What pitch do you have now? and what RPM at WOT if you have a tach..???

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tach is broken, or onhooked for now, but it sounds healthy at WOT, but i know (based on the sound) that it could wind a little harder (not bogging, but not whining either)<br />I have now a 13 3/4 x 15, and am after a 13 pitch, maybe even 11. My thing is pulling skiers, and i dont care much about top speed. I am at 5-5500 feet in elevation, so that added torue is what i am after more than speed. I think it would help pop skiers up quicker to go down a "gear" or two. Does anyone out there have an old prop they want to sell me cheaper than new??<br />thanks

walleyehed

Admiral

We get our rears kicked if we try and sell or buy here on the forum, so we'll stay away from that.<br />I know the pain of high altitude operation and I'll give ya my 2 cents on the prop. Go with a 13 pitch and drill 5/32" vent holes in the hub..this will increase hole-shot a great deal and allow a bit better top-end than if you went to an 11 pitch.<br />Do a search on venting, prop venting, drilling prop, etc., at the top of the page and you should find the right info on how to drill your prop.<br />EDIT; If you do buy a 13 pitch, try it out before you drill it, you may be able to get by without vent holes.

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Awesome, thank you.<br /><br />Sorry, i really did not know about sell / purcahse rule in the forum.<br /><br />thanks for the advice, and have a great weekend.

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

DJ,<br />Thank you for the link!! You guys have been a great help.<br /><br />I apologize again, i was not aware about the solicitation rule...<br /><br />Jamminmaz<br />P.S. I have a Doozy coming up. I need to find the right catagory in the forum to post, but i am contemplating taking 16' 1972 fiberform closed bow, and cutting it to turn it into an open bow with a couple seats up front. I just need to see if the pros think that bow is structeral at all, or if the strength comes from the bottom keel part... I have pics, and should have a link up by today or tomorrow.<br /><br />Thanks again,