boyesen reeds and rebuild

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class
73 115 johnson<br /><br />I have a set of boyesen reeds to install in this motor. Question is should I install them prior to first start up or should I do the initial tune with the factory reeds. I'm thinking a backfire could damage the boyseens. Dropping the idle jet size from 30 to 25 per instructions with the new reeds.<br /><br />Thanks

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: boyesen reeds and rebuild

The idle jets for your engine meters fuel, not air. You want to go larger.

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the catch. That changes things a bit. I need to bump them up two sizes.

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Kenny, does your recommendation on 5 sizes come from past experience ? The instruction sheet says to increase two sizes for carbs with low speed fuel jets. Is this a trial and error thing with two sizes larger being the baseline? I have no experience with these and any input is greatly appreciated. Start larger and meter down as needed maybe. BTW these are Boyesen # 144. I would much rather start a bit rich than lean for sure.<br /><br />Thanks

walleyehed

Admiral

My number 144 reeds stated enrichening 5 sizes on the idle circut, but you may have a point in 2 sizes for fuel jets vs. air jets.<br />You've got me wondering if I remember right, now.<br />Read it carefully, as the instructions for J/E are different than other manufacturers.<br />Point is, the idle circut HAS to be richer for fiber reeds so you don't have a lean cough-back that can break the reeds.<br />I would install the reeds from day one. You'll see a much more stable idle, increased hole-shot, and a tremendous mid-range acceleration gain, but don't expect much extra on top-end on the 115.<br /><br />EDIT; Make sure you leave the curved reed stop cage out that went with the stock reeds....all you use is the plates that come with the reeds.<br />Believe it or not, I've had these come in with the curved stops put in on top of the fiber reeds....doesn't let them open as they should.