Head Gasket Part Number

TTravis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am working on a 15HP Johnson Model J15EE0D serial G 03889658 year 1995.<br /><br />I need to order a head gasket, probably from my local NAPA store but my catalog only goes up to 1992 for the head gasket listings.<br /><br />I believe what I need is NAPA part 18-2963 which replaces OMC part 330818. This is what they show for the 1974 to 1992 model and the picture looks like it might be the right one.<br /><br />Can someone please verify that this is the correct head gasket for my motor?<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br /><br />Tom Travis

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Head Gasket Part Number

Tom,I would got to my local Johnson Dealer,but if NAPA is where you go,use their current catolog.By the way,they also do wine? GRIN !! <br /><br />DHP

Paul Moir

Admiral

I belive 18-2963 is only for 9.9s and 15s up to '92. The current (05) catalog says it's only for '74-'92. It doesn't give any part numbers for '93- .<br />Looks like you're going to have to make a trip to the dealer or order one from a Johnny/Rude dealer:<br /> Mastertech

TTravis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. You are right as usual and you prevented me from ordering the wrong part based on an assumption. NAPA does not cary this part. I was able to get it at my local dealer OMC Part # 338222 for $14.26 which is different than the head gasket for 92 and earlier.<br /><br />Was 1995 a unique year for these 15 hp motors? What years did they produce the same style motor I have?<br /><br />Tom Travis

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class

1994 until 2005<br />the 93 had a smaller bore

TTravis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks MarineMech.<br /><br />I have some more questions about this motor. I had a "friend" take this motor and say he would fix it a couple years ago. He recently moved, and when he did, I got my motor back with a lot of loose parts in a box. He tried to remove the powerhead but did not get far. The problem was that the pistons were locked up. I originally thought the engine got overheated but how I think it got backed down a steap ramp and got water in the pistons. Anyway, I need to know the bolt sizes for the following because I am going to have to go out and buy new ones.<br /><br />What size is the 6 bolts to bolt on the cylinder head?<br /><br />What size is the 6 bolts to bolt on the power head?<br /><br />What size is the 6 bolts the bolt on the lower unit?<br /><br />Is there anything special about these bolts? I assume they should be hardened automotive bolts that I can get at the local NAPA store.<br /><br />Any advice would be appreciated.<br /><br />Tom Travis

DHPMARINE

Captain

I can't tell you the bolt size,but I'd go to a dealer and buy original replacements.In some cases they use a smaller wrench size (for easier access) or a flanged bolt instead of a washer,sometimes an insert of thread-locking material,etc.<br /><br />DHP