Intercahngable parts 89 Johnson & 80 Rude 50hp

ob15

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys! Been a while since I last posted. Been real busy & blew up my old 1980 Evinrude 50. Am in the process of repowering & saw a 1989 Jonhson 50 for sale on Ebay. Was wondering if there are any intercahgable parts for these 2 motors (i.e. powerhead, lower unit). The lower unit on my Rude is fine & obviously needs a powerhead for it. The Johnson for sale sounds like it has a bad dog in the lower unit. Thanks in advance.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Intercahngable parts 89 Johnson & 80 Rude 50hp

There will definately be differences because yours is premix and that one has VRO. Yours has a choke and that has a primer. Otherwise I wouldn't be suprised that you could mix and match major components, like bolting that powerhead onto your leg. I just can't guarantee it.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Have you considered rebuilding the 80?

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys. I was thinking of putting the 89 powerhead on my 80. It has all the wiring so I am hoping I could do this. I think I would rather do that than rebuild the lower unit of the 89 but will see. I don't think the 80 powerhead is rebuildable as there are a few holes in the block and upper rod is sticking out. <br /><br />I was suprised when it went becasue there was no waring at all. I think the top cylinder was running lean and the rod bearings went. <br /><br />I am trying to get the SN for the 89 if that will help determine if I could swap components. Will post both SN's when I get the 89.

G DANE

Commander

The 80 lower unit should bolt right on the 89 midsection. Why not go that route.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

I thought of that after posting & will more than likely do that if I get the motor. Need to go check it out first. Will fire it up & then check compression.<br /><br />Thanks again!

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again guys! As always you're a big help. Finally got the model number from the 89<br /><br />J50TLCEC<br /><br />My 80 Evinrude<br />E50ELCSR<br /><br />Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

phatmanmike

Captain

hey dave, why did the 1980 "die"<br /><br />i have a 1980 that threw out the top rod. <br /><br />ill buy whatever you have leftover from you for parts for mine<br /><br />email me

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Not too sure what happened. Was cruising down the river and with no warning it went. Mentioned above that I think the top cylinder was running lean (but i'm no expert). I may try to search around to find replacement parts (if possible) and rebuild it. If you find any extras let me know and I'll do the same.

phatmanmike

Captain

im picking up my 1980 evinrude 50hp reall soon from the shop and a slew of other 50hp parts and powerheads and such. email me phatmanmike@yahoo.com

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Coolness! I'll give you a shout over the weekend.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys, I went and looked at the motor over the weekend. Other than the lower end problem the motor is in pretty good shape. It fired right up and it ran fine. The motor looked pretty clean and the compression was between 135-140 on both cylinders (after running for a few minutes). It does have T&T. The 80 Rude I have doesn't have T&T so it will be nice having that. Is there anything out of the ordinary with these motors and what do you think a fair price would be (ball park number is close enough)? Am not sure how many hours are on it. Thanks.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

I am going to pick the motor up tonight and have been thinking about what the guy told me about the lower unit. He said it poped out of gear at about 30-40% throttle. I am going to try to truble shoot that tonight and see if it might be the prop spinning instead of the clutch dog. Am I correct in thinking that if the clutch dog was bad then it would shift in and out of gear and make a clicking type noise (popping in and out of gear)? If the prop spun its hub the rpm's would raise and the boat would slow down, correct?

DHPMARINE

Captain

Dave, You're thinking correctly.Jumping out of gear is usually a dog/gear problem.Spun hub is like a slipping automotive clutch.<br /><br />DHP

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks DHP. So it would jump in and out of gear if the dog was bad like I mentioned?