Evinrude year and HP

fiddler 738

Recruit
Please can you help with the year and HP of my old evinrude Model number RD 30A<br />serial number 46394?

bgiles

Cadet
Re: Evinrude year and HP

Hi there, based upon this particular web site, it looks like it is a 1969 40 horsepower.<br /><br />Look under Evinrude 1913 - 1979<br /><br /><br /> http://www.marinshopen.se/ and then click on <br /><br />Modellguide

Paul Moir

Admiral

Welcome to Iboats Fiddler!<br /><br />If it's an RD-30A, it's a Johnson. The Evinrude cowl will fit since the engines are virtually identical. That happens a lot with these older engines.<br /><br />I seem to be getting 1968 for it, but I agree it's a 40hp:<br /><br />Johnson RD-30<br />Year: 1968<br />HP: 40<br />WOT RPMS: 4500<br />Displcament: 719.4 cc <br />Cylinders: 2<br />Weight: 59.9 - 72.1 Kg (Depending on options)<br />Gearcase Ratio: 12:21<br />Lower unit oil: If manual shift, OMC/BRP 'HiVis' or equivalent 80/90W outboard gearcase oil. If electric shift, OMC/BRP 'Premium Blend' *only*.<br />Fuel/Oil mix: 50:1 91 RON petrol to TC-W3 rated outboard oil.<br />Spark plug: Champion J4C gapped at .030" (J6J is no longer available)<br /><br /> Picture<br />From the Old OMC Site.

fiddler 738

Recruit

Thanks for the info guys!<br />Any idea where I could get a manual?<br />Also do you know if these motors were any good?

Paul Moir

Admiral

The best manual is the factory service manual, which is still printed:<br />TheOutboardWizard<br />Mastertech<br />Marine Engine<br />Ken Cook <br />The only problem with them is price - they are a little on the expensive side. An alternative for them is to buy one off ebay (search 'johnson 40 manual' or 'evinrude 40 manual) where they go for a fraction of the price of a new one. I don't see one for sale there now.<br />The Seloc manual that is sold by Iboats and other places is pretty good, but not nearly as good as the factory manual. It's an alternative though that you might find locally.<br /><br />The 40hp outboards were good tough dependable motors. Most 'wearing' parts are still being made, and there's thousands of NOS and more used parts than you can imagine. And as far as outboards go, the prices of these parts are cheap. For example, Iboats sells an aftermarket igntion coil for it for around $13 US.<br />The selectric shift models aren't the greatest. Although the system works well enough, repairing it can be tricky and very expensive. Also, an electrical failure will leave you stranded in neutral. Of course, if you've got a manual shift model this is no problem.

fiddler 738

Recruit

Thanks again for the info.<br />I do have the manual shift model, lucky me.<br />tough and dependable are the words I wanted to hear.