Head Gasket Tips and Fuel Hose clamps

FAV453

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2 questions for 225 HP: Head Gaskets I noticed corrosion around head gasket joint just locally (not around whole valve cover) I haven't noticed any preformance problem, but I thought I should disassemble clean the corrosion and replace the gaskets. Can head gasket be replaced without taking off the power head and how hard a job is it?<br /> <br />Secondly on fuel hole clamps: my local shop say they use zip ties instead of the metal clamps, but (on my engine mounted fuel filter) I can't get the ties to close tight enough. Where can I get replacement metal clamps?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Head Gasket Tips and Fuel Hose clamps

Zip ties work just fine. If you are having trouble getting them tight enough buy a Zip tie gun that tightens them. Any electronics store like Radio Shack will have them and they are cheap. You can also use a flat blade screwdriver and a pliers. Use the screwdriver to hold the clamp part of the zip tie while you pull on the loose end.

geofthro

Seaman

I buy the black marine zip ties with the little round circle attached to the head of the zip tie! Which i side a small screw driver though to hold it firm while i pull tight on the pliers with the other hand, Then snip the round attactment off! I have also heard that the small metal hose clamps can sometimes work themselves loose after a while with all vibrations,

FAV453

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried the pliers thing and still can't get them real tight. I actually just bought a zip tie gun and will try that. Anybody got any words of wisdom on the head gasket?<br />Edit I found a post that describes my head gaskets condition better I quote a message from September:<br /><br />"crystal like substance near each edge of my head gaskets. {like ice crystals) it is a white substance that almost looks like its coming out of the heads between each side of the gasket."<br /><br />SOmeone said it was normal? If I don't need to change them what is the maintance interval that they should be done?

ob

Admiral

Would't hurt to replace the head gaskets as it's not that big of a job.What you're seeing is salt/calcium creep through the sealing surface and through the gasket material itself.In time you will have a leak issue.Don't know the year of your engine and whether the heads were retorqued after break-in ,but if you do replace the gaskets ,make sure and follow the engine break-in procedure and retorque the head gaskets after the specified run hours.<br /><br />I've got an exhaust cover gasket doing the same thing on my 96' 70 horse and I plan on addressing it this winter.

alcan

Commander

Hi FAV <br />Unless you have some other need to have a look see in the cyls. at this time. I would say just brush the crud off as good as you can and spray some touch-paint to it. Do a nice job. Degreese it and don't paint everything, coils,wire and hoses,etc. Your power head will look brand new. If you replace the gaskets they will look just like the ones that are on there now in a short time. A very light spray (mist) of your favorite oil (wd-40 etc) will help this stuff (some what). Again do not go crazy and make a mess.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'm with alcan on the white crud. I have seen it on many of the motors I have had in the last 30 years. I wouldn't mess with it.

gss036

Commander

I am not familiar with your engine, but I like to replace my Merc headgaskets every 3rd season of saltwater use. Some times they look real good others the metal seal ring is rusting. I have been real lucky catching them before I get any leaks. The white powdery substance is normal. Mercury makes a zip tie for the black monsters, I think they would work on the blue ones also :-},they sell for 15 cents each, so one can keep a supply on hand.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What do you mean by the valve cover? What 225 do you have?