Hooking up tach on 1992 Evinrude 40hp

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gentlemen, terrific forum! Learned a lot these past months from you guys! Bought my boat July this year (Reefrunner CC 171 by Invader) and it came with an Evinrude 40HP (model BE40ELENJ). Also got me a Clymer manual (your advise).Did a link and sink like the manual said and it worked like a dream. Was completely out of whack before.<br />To hook up a tachometer (Faria) I'm faced with some conflicting info. Question # 1:From the manual I get the impression that my engine has 12 poles (dial at the back of tach should be set on 6 then)cannot verify that though. On the pdf that came with the tach it says "all 2 cylinders Evi/John 10 poles". Which info is right???<br />Question # 2: to hook up the hotwire at the ignitionswitch...can I use terminal A for that. Think so but not sure and don't want to fry something. Question # 3: have a sidemounted OMC-control box. Is it difficult to get at the ignitionswitch? Any pointers?<br />Have a good new year, good health to all that are near to you and lots of water passing under the keel!!<br />Frank

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Hooking up tach on 1992 Evinrude 40hp

I believe that your motor should be set to the 12 pole setting of "6". Faria, Teleflex and one other tach manufactures erroniously list 5 as the correct setting for all 2 cylinder OMC's. <br /><br />With the electric start on a 40hp in 92, the motor was equiped with a 12 amp fully regulated alternator. That means use the "6" setting. The 25, 45, 48, and 55 hp models that year used a 4 amp non regulated generator that uses the "5" setting. The 40hp without electric start also uses the 5 setting.<br /><br />I have the same motor you do and with a Teleflex tach, the "6" setting shows proper idle speed and over-rev limited speed. <br /><br />Question 2 I cant answer because I don't know what "terminal A" is. <br /><br />Question 3 depends on which side mount you have. If it's the older one with the padded top, it is a bit tricky, but does not require any special tools to disassemble. I think the newer thiner smaller unit is easier to disassemble. The '92 Evinrude/johnson manual has the disassembly procedure for the '92 side control. <br /><br />Check your control for a 3 pin connector under the ignition switch. That is where you can plug right into the ignition circuit and tach feed. As you look at the plug the contacts are (from left to right), ignition, tach and ground. In the harness the wires are solid blue, solid grey and black in that order. The ignition load MUST be limited to 5 amps. That is quite a bit of power and a tach won't overload it. But be careful of adding stereo, fish finder, etc to that connection.<br /><br />Hope this helped. BTW, I just love that little 40hp. Just wish I had power tilt/trim.<br /><br />Mark

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mark, I already noticed you had the same motor :) .On the diagram in my Clymer is a drawing of the ignition switch with 6 terminals clockwise called BAT/B, M, S, C, IGN/A, M. Manual is not clear on all functions. It doesnot contain disassembly for the side control, however I saw on the underside (next to keyswitch) 2 knobs. 1 appears to be rubbercapped, the other- I think- is to set friction on the handle. I'll eyeball the rubbercap...might be a 3-pin connector behind it. Agree 100% on the motor. Its a lovely thing!! Point taken about overloading...ripped out the stereo the former owner left :) . Like my waters calm and sereen!<br />Thanks very much for your answer. Helped a lot!!<br />Frank

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Frank,<br /><br />How did you make out with the 3pin on the control box? Does it have it?<br /><br />Mark

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mark, it didn't have the 3 pin. But no matter, the boat came with a fuelgauge (also Faria) connected to a switch (on/of). So I think I will hook it up likewise, the more because I have installed a masterswitch on the battery. So less risk of draining same (if I dont forget to switch off :D ). Just following up on the grey wire now from engine to dash. A miriad strings.... Thanks for your interest!!! Liked the pictures of your boat, beautyful blue water you've got. Here its brown and peat-collored. If you like you can see my boat on my son's website www.hanhart.nu under misc. if you can find your way through dutch idiom :) (with him on the boat of course)<br />Frank

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

btw Mark, the motorcycle he's showing off on is mine too. He'll inherit both if I kick the bucket (will have to wait a long time for that if it's my sayso)<br />Frank

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Frank,<br /><br />Sounds like you have things in order. Tried to view the pictures in a large size, but they would not open. I can see the thumb nails. Neat boat! Good looking son too. I like the girl on the main page. <br /><br />Mark.

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mark,<br />first boat, first motor...happy as a clam!! Just as my wife and Droopy the blond cocker spaniel who makes like she is on Titanic with horizontal ears on the bow. See you around on the board and again thanks for yr advice!!<br />Frank

I believe that your motor should be set to the 12 pole setting of "6". Faria, Teleflex and one other tach manufactures erroniously list 5 as the correct setting for all 2 cylinder OMC's. <br /><br />With the electric start on a 40hp in 92, the motor was equiped with a 12 amp fully regulated alternator. That means use the "6" setting. The 25, 45, 48, and 55 hp models that year used a 4 amp non regulated generator that uses the "5" setting. The 40hp without electric start also uses the 5 setting.<br /><br />I have the same motor you do and with a Teleflex tach, the "6" setting shows proper idle speed and over-rev limited speed. <br /><br />Question 2 I cant answer because I don't know what "terminal A" is. <br /><br />Question 3 depends on which side mount you have. If it's the older one with the padded top, it is a bit tricky, but does not require any special tools to disassemble. I think the newer thiner smaller unit is easier to disassemble. The '92 Evinrude/johnson manual has the disassembly procedure for the '92 side control. <br /><br />Check your control for a 3 pin connector under the ignition switch. That is where you can plug right into the ignition circuit and tach feed. As you look at the plug the contacts are (from left to right), ignition, tach and ground. In the harness the wires are solid blue, solid grey and black in that order. The ignition load MUST be limited to 5 amps. That is quite a bit of power and a tach won't overload it. But be careful of adding stereo, fish finder, etc to that connection.<br /><br />Hope this helped. BTW, I just love that little 40hp. Just wish I had power tilt/trim.<br /><br />Mark
Hello all. I have an Evinrude 2 cyl E40ELEO, with electric start, tilt and trim. My control box is an OMC with the option of plugging in the tachometer harness #0174732. I purchased a SEACHOICE VDO tachometer #50-15161 (VDO # 333-15275). Their instruction sheet says the alternator is a 10 pole alternator, and I set the DIP switch at "4". I read that my elsewhere my alternator might be 12 pole. Can anyone confirm 10 or 12 pole system?
Thanks!

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Hello all. I have an Evinrude 2 cyl E40ELEO, with electric start, tilt and trim. My control box is an OMC with the option of plugging in the tachometer harness #0174732. I purchased a SEACHOICE VDO tachometer #50-15161 (VDO # 333-15275). Their instruction sheet says the alternator is a 10 pole alternator, and I set the DIP switch at "4". I read that my elsewhere my alternator might be 12 pole. Can anyone confirm 10 or 12 pole system?
Thanks!
2 cylinder motor under 70 hp should be a 10 pole.

mark42 said:
With the electric start on a 40hp in 92, the motor was equiped with a 12 amp fully regulated alternator

That is why I am confused!

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Looking at the parts diagram for my motor, the stator shows as:
STATOR AY,4/12AMP 0763763
I don't think it will harm your tach if it's set wrong, it will just read incorrectly. You can then turn off the motor and set it to the other calibration. Don't trust me on this one though, let others confirm.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
mark42 said:
With the electric start on a 40hp in 92, the motor was equiped with a 12 amp fully regulated alternator

That is why I am confused!
Amps doesn't have anything to do with it, it's pickup points in one revolutions of the flywheel. I would think the directions of the tach would be correct.