My first boat need help....

Johansen Manson

Recruit
I have put a deposit down on a Whaler with a 1994 Johnson 225 Horsepower Engine on it. The compression on the 6 cylinders goes as follows. #1 85 #2 80 #3 80 #4 80 #5 85 #6 80. Does this sound right for this Engine?<br />Any advice would be helpful as I am taking out for Sea Trial then wanting to Purchase.<br /><br />Johansen

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: My first boat need help....

they are all within 10 % of each other. but that seems alittle low to me. did u have the trottle wideopen ?

rwise

Captain

Johnson Manson<br />First, welcome to Iboats!<br />I agree with Wayne, that seems low to me. make sure all plug are out and grounded (not sure if the ignition on this one needs it, but can't hurt.) carb/s fully open and crank it tell it stop raising the gauge. If it's still 80 and 85 shoot a lttle WD40 or TCWIII oil in each and do it again. If this raises the compresion most well say it needs rings. If it's a good deal on it you might try a decarb (seafoam)(directions on can)(at most auto parts stores) and then do the test again. It will run with 80 and 85 but it may be weak, for a 225.

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Use a screw in gage rather than one with a rubber nipple.<br /><br />Have the owner decarb it and then take it for a trial run.<br /><br />Then check with a good gage.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

My 1991 looper 225 runs 80-85 psi and it runs fine. I am not sure if it is the same set up but my .02<br /><br />Mac

Johansen Manson

Recruit

Originally posted by wayne34609:<br /> they are all within 10 % of each other. but that seems alittle low to me. did u have the trottle wideopen ?
I just got those #'s from the shop who did the compression test,...I should probably do my own to be sure.

Johansen Manson

Recruit

Originally posted by rwise:<br /> Johnson Manson<br />First, welcome to Iboats!<br />I agree with Wayne, that seems low to me. make sure all plug are out and grounded (not sure if the ignition on this one needs it, but can't hurt.) carb/s fully open and crank it tell it stop raising the gauge. If it's still 80 and 85 shoot a lttle WD40 or TCWIII oil in each and do it again. If this raises the compresion most well say it needs rings. If it's a good deal on it you might try a decarb (seafoam)(directions on can)(at most auto parts stores) and then do the test again. It will run with 80 and 85 but it may be weak, for a 225.

Johansen Manson

Recruit

Thanks Wayne,..If I had to overhaul this engine, down the road,...what do you think it might cost? I am just trying to weigh out my options because I think I am getting a good deal on the boat at 10K out the door? But it raises the eternal Question if I should spend more and get something I might not have to overhaul for a while? Did that make sense?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You may find more on this if you play around with the red search function at the top of the page. I seem to remember a few posts on "normal" compression for OMC motors. Try "225 looper" as an argument.<br /><br />Also I would do my own check especially if the shop that did yours was the dealer's.