How to wire up alternator on '67 Evinrude V4 60 HP?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
1967 Evinrude V4 60 HP Electric (Battery) Start<br />Manual Gear Shift<br />Model 60752A<br /><br />It looks like I've got an alternator for it, but it doesn't fit with Clymer, ABOS or the factory parts catalogue.<br /><br />I think its wiring, and maybe more, is incomplete.<br /><br />Here's the bits I have:<br /><br />Flywheel with magnetised inner ring: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dawal/mypic19.jpg <br /><br />Stator with wires going to clip joining to?rectifier?:<br /> http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dawal/mypic17.jpg <br /><br />?Rectifier? with yellow leads going to clip which links into clip from stator and red wire going into wire in ignition key loom: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dawal/mypic18.jpg <br /><br />Ignition key loom with sundry wires:<br /> http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dawal/mypic16.jpg <br /><br />On the last picture of the lead going to the ignition key the wires to the left and the green/blue wire are all accounted for. The red lead at the top joins the red lead on the ?rectifier?. The red lead at bottom right has been put out of use and goes nowhere: I suspect it goes to a fuse or regulator or whatever.<br /><br />The other (ignition loom is third lead) red and black leads to the battery are just the usual positive and negative with no additional wires or attachments.<br /><br />The ignition key has 4 terminals, with one linked to the choke button and another with a dead wire folded over. It starts the motor fine and the choke button works.<br /><br />According to my factory parts catalogue the stator is 6 amp, part No. 580650<br /><br />The rectangular ?rectifier? is different to the round one shown in the parts catalogue as part No. 580656, but it fits onto the ring gear guard in the same place.<br /><br />Clymer (Evinrude/Johnson Outboard Shop Manual 1.5 - 125 HP . 1956-72) shows wiring diagrams for only a simple 9 and a more complicated 15 amp system for 1967 alternators.<br /><br />ABOS doesn't show a diagram.<br /><br />Anybody know what I have and what I need to do to make it work properly?<br /><br />Be kind to me - the limit of my electrical ability is to use a multimeter to measure battery voltage across the terminals.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to wire up alternator on '67 Evinrude V4 60 HP?

Here is how your system works. The magnets in the flywheel induce an ac current in the stator. The stator is connected to the rectifier which outputs DC voltage. The DC output is between the case and the red wire. The case must be grounded to the engine along with the battery negative (black) wire. The red wire goes to the battery positive terminal. When the engine is running the battery is charging. There is not a voltage regulator in this system.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

L I Chuck is correct, however someone over the years has "jury rigged" your wiring harness and rectifier. That is not a factory rectifier.

Tinkerer

L.I. Chuck & Seahorse<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Am I correct in assuming that the red wire at bottom right in the last picture should be connected to the positive terminal of the battery? <br /><br />How would I check that the alternator is putting a charge into the battery?

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Can't tell about the red wire from looking at the picture.<br /><br />You can tell if your charging system is working with a voltmeter. Connect the voltmeter across the battery, after the engine is started you should see the voltage increase to over 14 volts. The exact voltage is dependedent upon the condition of your battery and the engine rpm. The higher the RPM the higher the voltage.

Tinkerer

L.I Chuck<br /><br />Thanks again.<br /><br />The wiring diagrams I've seen (for the alternators that aren't mine) incorporate a fuse or regulator in them.<br /><br />As mine is unregulated, would it be a good idea to put a fuse between the red wire (whatever it's connected to) and the battery, and what fuse rating?

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Ordinarily there is not a fuse between the rectifier and the battery.<br /><br />I would not expect a 60HP outboard to have a regulator. This is not at all unusual.<br /><br />The output of your charging system is probably in the order of 10 amps. The output current is dependent upon the stator. If you find a part number for the stator you can probably look it up and determine the rated output.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You might want to take a closer look at the stator coils in the upper left corner of the picture (about 11 o'clock position). Those two coils look like they have been "cooked".

Tinkerer

Upinsmoke<br /><br />You have confirmed my worst fears!<br /><br />I don't have enough experience to know what looks bad. They didn't look too good to me, but as the eternal optimist I chose to think that maybe they were sort of welded in at the factory like that and it wasn't anything to worry about.<br /><br />Here's a better, if fuzzy, view: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dawal/mypic21.jpg

Tinkerer

Maybe the stator burn is the reason the previous owner cut out the alternator function / wiring, to allow the engine to run with no charging?

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Measure each stator wire to ground without the rectifier connected. They should be open.<br /><br />Then measure from stator wire to stator wire you should have continuity.<br /><br />If the stator passes both these tests, it may still be functioning. Connect the charging sytem and see if you have a DC output.

Tinkerer

L. I. Chuck<br /><br />Thanks again.<br /><br />First and second tests OK.<br /><br />Waiting on a part before I can start the motor.<br /><br />I've noticed that there's a thin insulating film on the stator ring that has worn through where the ring is screwed onto the mounting points, so it's grounded directly to the motor. There's continuity between the ring and the motor and the stator plates and the motor, but not between the insulated parts and the motor. There isn't any insulating film in the screw holes on the ring so it would probably be grounded through them anyway. Is this the way it should be or should I insulate it from the motor?